Any Vacation can be more enjoyable if the furry friend is with you. There are several dog-friendly beaches in New Jersey, USA, and these nearby beaches welcome pets and allow them to have fun with the sand and surf.
But what beaches allow dogs in NJ to enjoy the sunset or swim? Longport Dog Beach, Sandy Hook, Deal Lake, Brigantine Beach, 8th Avenue Asbury Park, Ocean City Beach, Manasquan, Atlantic City, and North Wildwood Crest are Jersey Shore dog-friendly beaches allowing pets like the German Shepherd and other dogs.
Dog parents can have many fun activities on these beaches, such as rafting, surfing, fishing, etc. These beaches are great for having some quiet time. Dog-friendly hotels, restaurants, and emergency veterinarian services are available near these beaches.
General Dog Rules for All the Beaches
- Dogs must be on a 6-foot leash.
- The owners should clean the dog waste.
- Dogs must be supervised by their owners all the time.
28 Best Pet Friendly Beaches in New Jersey That Allows Dogs
1. Longport Dog Beach in Egg Harbor
Longport Dog Beach is a great destination for dogs, and it’s an off-leash dog beach. This clean beach is in the Malibu Beach Wildlife Management Area in Egg Harbor. It has excellent views of the Ocean City Longport Bridge crossing over Great Harbor Bay.
Being an off-leash beach, this is an excellent place for the dogs to socialize. They can run and swim here freely. This beach has a small parking lot, so visitors should arrive early.
This beach is famous by other names, like – Somers Point Dog Beach, Malibu Beach, or just Dog Beach.
- Timings: Open all year round from sunrise to sunset.
- Fee and Parking: Free
- Nearby Attractions: Somers Mansion, John F. Kennedy Park,
- Location: Ocean Dr, Egg Harbor Township, NJ, US, 08244.
2. Sandy Hook Dog Beach in Middletown
Sandy Hook is a lovely beach for a perfect day trip with family and pets. Leashed dogs are allowed on the bay side for the whole year. On the beach, dogs are permitted during the off-season, from the 15th of September.
This Beach is near the Sandy Hook Kayaks. Dogs can have a great swim here; the bay area is good for them to play.
Several fun activities are done here, like fishing, rollerblading, partying, tours, biking, or simply walking. Besides several restaurants, various food trucks are found here, serving local foods.
- Timings: From 7 am to 5 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Parking charges are $20 per day. For bigger vehicles, $50 per day.
- Nearby Attractions: Combers Beach, Huddy Park.
- Location: 100 Hartshorne Dr, Middletown, NJ, US, 07732-0000.
3. 8th Avenue and Park Deal Lake Drive Dog Beach in Asbury
8th Avenue Dog Beach is near St John’s Island in Asbury Park. This beach is a specifically selected area sanctioned by the municipality. Doggies are allowed here to run off-leash and swim; it’s also known as ‘surfers beach.’
Doggos are welcomed on this beach during a particular time (the 15th of September – the 15th of May). Only the Deal Lake Dog Beach in Asbury Park is open for dogs throughout the year.
The beach is excellent with surf, sand, and water. There are restrooms on the beach, and many restaurants here offer dog-friendly food.
- Timings: 9 am to 5 pm from Monday to Friday. It is open from 9 am to 6 pm on weekends and holidays. In Summer, dogs are only allowed before 8:30 am or after 6 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Beach passes Weekdays – $6, Weekends – $9. Parking free.
- Nearby Attractions: St John’s Island, Stephen Crane House.
- Location: Deal Lake Dr & Ocean Ave, Asbury Park, NJ, US, 07712-5610.
4. Brigantine North-End Beach in New Jersey
Brigantine is a clean and safe beach away from the crowds and has a lot of space where the dogs can run and play. The far North end allows dogs. This area has the softest sand, which is very comfortable for dogs. It’s near the restaurant Pirates Den.
Dogs are only permitted here from September to May. This beach has a wildlife refuge and plenty of bird life. The place has several serene tidal pools.
This beach is excellent for swimming from the 15th of June to Labour Day (10 am – 5:30 pm). There are lifeguards always on duty. Along with this, surfing and kite flying are permitted here.
- Timings: From 7 am to 7 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Seasonal charges – $25, Daily charges – $10
- Nearby Attractions: North Brigantine Natural Area, Roosevelt Jetty.
- Location: 1500 E Brigantine Ave, Brigantine, NJ, US, 08203-0000.
5. Fisherman’s Cove Conservation Area at Manasquan
Fisherman’s Cove Conservation Area is spread over 55 acres, and it’s an undeveloped tract within the Manasquan channel. The location is 3 minutes away from the North Jersey Coast line. This place allows dogs, but they have to be always leashed.
The dog owners can enjoy the East portion, whereas the West portion is dog-free. There are signs posted to understand which area is for the dogs. A riverside cafe around the corner offers Doggy meals.
The park authority offers an off-leash dog area at Thompson Park in Lincroft and another at the Wolf Hill Recreation Area in Oceanport.
- Timings: 7 am and closes around 9:30 pm, year-round.
- Fee and Parking: Free
- Nearby Attractions: Squan Village Historical Society, Loughran Point.
- Location: 391 3rd Ave, Manasquan, NJ, US, 08736-0000.
6. Ocean City Beach in New Jersey
Ocean City has excellent food and the best beaches. Dogs are allowed on Ocean City Beach from the 1st of October to the 30th of April. Dogs must be on a leash while visiting. Dogs are also allowed on the boardwalk here.
The city has eight miles of oceanfront beaches, which are the center of attraction during the summer season. Year-round surfers, runners, anglers, and families enjoy the beauty of this beach.
Feeding the gulls and smoking is prohibited here. Ocean City Beach is located near Candy Land (a sweet shop ).
- Timings: 5 am to 10 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Seasonal beach tags cost $25 and $20 if purchased before the 31st of May.
- Nearby Attractions: Congo Falls Adventure Golf, Playland’s Castaway Cove.
- Location: Ocean City, NJ 08226, United States.
7. Gateway National Park in New Jersey
Gateway National Park allows dogs between specific dates. On the oceanside beaches, dogs are not allowed from the 15th of March to the 15th of September. Dogs are welcomed yearly at Plum Island on beach beaches and Horseshoe Cove.
Millions of visitors come here every year. This park offers green spaces, beautiful beaches, historic structures, and cultural landscapes near the Sandy Hook Unit. Visitors can get here by bus, car, subway, or ferry.
- Timings: 6 am to 9 pm.
- Fee and Parking: $20 for Parking in the summer season is charged. No entry fee is charged.
- Nearby Attractions: Fort Hancock, Sandy Hook Lighthouse.
- Location: 1 Bay Ave, End of Highlands Bridge, Highlands, NJ, US, 07732-0000.
8. Wildwood Dog Park & Beach in New Jersey
Wildwood Dog Park & Beach is the best destination for pets, and the dogs must be on a leash on the beach. Dog owners can walk their pets on the boardwalk near Maple Avenue, and this location is beside Mike’s Boardwalk Parking.
A dog-friendly park is there beside this South Jersey beach. The dogs can be free from leashes inside the park. It has all the necessary amenities, like fresh water and shades for the dog and the parents.
There are two separate running areas for the small dogs and big dogs. Several restaurants are available that are pet-friendly. Dogs are not allowed on the Boardwalk from Memorial Day through Labour Day.
- Timings: Open always and throughout the year.
- Fee and Parking: Free
- Nearby Attractions: Seaport Aquarium, Splash Zone Waterpark.
- Location: Glenwood Ave & Maple Ave, Wildwood, NJ, US, 08260-0000.
9. Stone Harbor Beach in Cape May
Stone Harbor is a beautiful beach for our pets. Dogs can play here from 7 pm till sunset. It’s an ideal place to picnic with the family and pets. The canines can sniff around and explore the area.
The beach is just 2 minutes away by car from the Stone Harbor Museum and an excellent spot for a pet-friendly adventure. Dogs are prohibited at Stone Harbor Point 122 Street, the nature area. It’s a protected place that has nests of birds and turtles.
- Timings: From 7 pm to sunset is the time of this beach.
- Fee and Parking: Free
- Nearby Attractions: Stone Harbor Museum, Pleasure Bay
- Location: 202 122nd St, Stone Harbor, NJ, US, 08247-0000.
10. Barnegat Light Beach in New Jersey
Barnegat Light Beach is a famous dog-friendly beach in New Jersey. This Light Beach is spread across from Sandy Hook to Cape May. It’s a stunning coastline where furry friends can enjoy sand and surf. The beach is near Barnegat Light Dog Park.
The beaches here are very tranquil and have a quiet atmosphere. The dogs can visit here from the 16th of September to the 14th of April.
Barnegat is a beautiful town on the seashore with spacious beaches and recreation areas like a Tennis court, skate park, dog park, and basketball court. These beaches are great for surfing, fishing, bay fishing, and crabbing.
- Timings: Every day from 10 am to 4:30 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Daily charge – $5. Free for seniors ( 65 years or above ) and children ( 11 years or younger ).
- Nearby Attractions: Barnegat Lighthouse State Park, Lighthouse Marina.
- Location: 29 E 11th St, Barnegat Light, NJ, US, 08006-0000.
11. Beach Haven Doggy Bay on Taylor Avenue
Beach Haven Doggy Bay is a pet-friendly beach during the off-season. Dogs are welcome here to play from the 16th of September to the 14th of May. Dogs must be on a leash and under control to play here. Leashed dogs can use the Beach at Taylor Avenue. The Borough of Beach Haven is not pet-friendly.
This charming beach is located very near Bay Beach and Swings. Fun activities like fishing and surfing are done here. It has the finest views and is known as the “Queen City.” The place has multiple attractions like amusement parks, Fantasy islands, shopping centers, and museums.
- Timings: Monday to Saturday from 10 am – 4 pm ( in season ). On Sundays from 10 am – 3 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Beach badges are needed to make an entry here. The pre-season badges cost $30, and people over 65 can get a lifetime badge at $10.
- Nearby Attractions: Thundering Surf Waterpark, Fantasy Island Amusement Park.
- Location: Taylor Ave, Beach Haven, NJ, US, 08008-2045.
12. Higbee Beach Wildlife Management Area in Cape May
Higbee Beach Wildlife Management is located in Cape May and is dog-friendly. The beach is stretched for a half-mile from where leashed dogs can play. Furry friends are allowed here from September through April and must be controlled.
The parking area near this beach remains closed during Summer. The site is full of deciduous and dune forests. Birding here is excellent all year round. In different seasons, various species of birds are seen and migrated from other parts of the world.
- Timings: Open daily from dawn to dusk.
- Fee and Parking: Per person, $25 is charged as an entry fee.
- Nearby Attractions: Cape Sea Excursions, Emlen Physick Estate.
- Location: New England Road, Cape May, NJ, US, 08204-2549.
13. Sunset Beach in Cape May
This dog-friendly beach welcomes them from mid-September through mid-April. The dogs who visit here should be on a leash. The beach offers multiple dog-friendly outdoor tables for meals. Sunset Beach is near the World War II Lookout Tower.
The leashed buddies are welcome any time on the beach. However, the time of sunset is stunning.
The beach is famous for the concrete ship SS Atlantus, which has been lying here since 1926. The Concrete Tower is another attraction here.
- Timings: Open every day from 9 am to 9:30 pm. From the Friday before Memorial Day through Labour Day, dogs are not allowed from 9 am – to 6 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Free
- Nearby Attractions: Cape May Bird Observatory, Cape May State Park.
- Location: 502 Sunset Blvd, Cape May, NJ, US, 08212-0000.
14. Sea Girt Beach in New Jersey
Sea Girt is a beautiful sandy beach with amazing views of the Atlantic and the historic Lighthouse. The beach allows leashed dogs from October to March. However, the boardwalk is a forbidden place for dogs. The beach is 4 minutes away by car from the Sea Girt Lighthouse.
The borough and Broadwalk of this beach remain open for the whole year. It’s one of the clean, safe, dog-friendly beaches in New Jersey. In Summer, swimming here is nice, and it offers a great panoramic view of the Atlantic Ocean.
- Timings: Every day from 9:15 am to 4:45 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Daily charges – $11.98
- Nearby Attractions: National Guard Militia Museum, Sea Girt Lighthouse.
- Location: 657 N Ocean Ave, Sea Girt, NJ, US, 08750.
15. Island Beach State Park on Central Avenue
Island Beach State Park is a fantastic beach with white sand and dunes. Dogs with leashes are welcome here; dogs can swim on the south swimming beach year-round. Dogs have no permission to swim from Memorial Day to the first weekend of October. The casino pier & breakwater beach is near the beach.
This place is a habitat of maritime plants and diverse wildlife. The State Park has different plant communities, primary dunes, thickets, freshwater, and wetlands. Maritime forest and tidal marshes.
It’s the largest osprey colony in the state. There are Peregrine falcons, wading birds, shore birds, waterfowl, and migrating songbirds. Check for ticks after the dogs explore the nature trails.
- Timings: Monday to Friday ( 8 am – 8 pm ) and on weekends & holidays ( 7 am – 8 pm ).
- Fee and Parking: For the state residents, $6 per car on weekdays and $10 on weekends. For non-state residents, $12 per car on weekdays and $20 0n weekends.
- Nearby Attractions: Casino Pier & Breakwater Beach, Mosquito Cove.
- Location: 2400 Central Ave, Seaside Park, NJ, US, 08752-0000.
16. Beaches in Seabright at Ocean Avenue
There are many dog-friendly beaches in the Jersey Shore Crown, and Seabright Beach is famous. Leashed dogs are welcome in the Borough of Seabright. They are only allowed from the day after Labour Day to the Friday of the Memorial weekend.
It’s the most secluded beach here. Most of the beaches are private and adult; there are beaches with public access also. There are plenty of stores, restaurants, and taverns near this area. The boardwalk is charming and relaxing.
- Timings: 6 am to 10 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Daily badges, per person – $8
- Nearby Attractions: Veterans Monument,
- Location: 1099 E Ocean Ave, Sea Bright, NJ, US, 07760.
17. Harvey Cedars in New Jersey
Harvey Cedars are located between the Loveladies and North Beach. It’s a pet-friendly beach where dogs are allowed on leashes. However, dogs can only visit this place from the 16th of September – the 29th of May.
It’s a great place to relax and eat with your dogs. This area has lovely beaches and numerous options for summer accommodation and is away from the chaos of city life.
- Timings: Open every day from 10 am to 5 pm.
- Fee and Parking: The cost of beach badges is $35 pre-season and $45 after the 15th of June.
- Nearby Attractions: Harvey Cedars Bible Conference, Sunset Park.
- Location: Harvey Cedars, NJ O8OO8, United States.
18. Bay Head Beach in New Jersey
Bay Head Beach is a gorgeous place to take your dogs. After Labor Day leashes, dogs are welcomed here. During the Summer, the entry of the pups is restricted. The beach includes several dog-friendly inns.
Several beaches here are privately owned but also open to the public. A non-profit Bay Head Improvement Association manages these, and lifeguards are always there.
- Timings: Every day from 9 am to 4 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Beach badges are needed, which are $8 per person. Parking is free.
- Nearby Attractions: New Jersey Museum of Boating, Point Pleasant Historical Museum.
- Location: 10 Bridge Ave, Bay Head, NJ, US, 08742-0000.
19. Brant Beach in New Jersey
Brant Beach on Ocean Blvd is a lovely destination to spend with pets. This dog-friendly beach allows leashed dogs only. The Barnegat Lighthouse is to the North, and the fun beach is to the South.
Though, dogs can have fun here from October through March. From the 1st of April to the 1st of October, the entry of dogs is banned here.
The beach suits young children, who can play volleyball or paddle races here. Fishing, kayaking, surfing, and paddle boarding are allowed here. This beach is located between Ship Bottom and Beach Haven Crest.
- Timings: Every day from 10 am to 5 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Daily – $5
- Nearby Attractions: Bay View Park, Brant Beach Yacht Club.
- Location: 6013 Ocean Blvd, Beach Haven, NJ, US, 08008-0000.
20. Sea Isle Beach in New Jersey
Sea Isle Beach is located in Sea Isle City, near Excursion Park. This beach has a beautiful atmosphere, and it’s dog-friendly. Dogs must be on a 6-foot leash to make an entry and are allowed from the 31st of October to the 30th of April.
The beaches in this area are designated for different uses. For instance, there are other beaches for rafting, surfing, fishing, etc.
The five-mile sandy beaches are very picturesque, well-maintained, and the highest-rated in the Garden State. This place is famous among photographers, birders, and nature lovers. The beach offers wheelchairs, too.
- Timings: Monday to Friday from 10 am to 5 pm. On weekends from 10 am to 5:30 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Daily – $5
- Nearby Attractions: Excursion Park, Sea Isle City Historical Museum.
- Location: Sea Isle City, NJ 08243, United States.
21. Ventnor City Beaches on Atlantic Avenue NJ
Ventnor city beaches are clean and beautiful to spend with family, friends, and pets. These dog-friendly beaches allow pups with leashes from the 1st of October to the 14th of May. It has a lovely boardwalk and several trash cans conveniently placed.
These calm and quiet beaches are great for relaxing. The beaches are colorful, with umbrellas everywhere. These beaches are for everyone, from toddlers to older men. It’s also clean, and lifeguards are always there. It’s located near the ACME markets.
- Timings: Open from dawn to dusk.
- Fee and Parking: Before the 1st of June – $10, After the 31st of May – $20
- Nearby Attractions: Absecon Lighthouse, Civil Rights Garden.
- Location: Ventnor City, NJ 08401, United States.
22. Bayshore Waterfront Park
Bayshore Waterfront Park is located near Monmouth Cove Marina. The park allows leashed dogs here year-round. This place has plenty of seating arrangements, and visitors should bring food and water.
A quiet and calm environment surrounds this park. People often come here for picnics, boating, fishing, and birding.
- Timings: Every day from 7 am to 9:30 pm.
- Fee and Parking: The park charges no entry but $10 for parking.
- Nearby Attractions: Ideal Beach, Keansburg Amusement Park.
- Location: 719 Port Monmouth Rd, Port Monmouth, NJ 07758, United States.
23. Bradley Cove Dog Beach
Situated North of 8th Avenue, Bradley Cove is a dog-friendly beach. Licensed and supervised dogs can play here from the 15th of September to the 15th of May. Canines can enter the beach from 6 pm to 8:30 pm in the summer.
Dogs have permission to go off-leash here, and other domestic animals accompanied by their owners are allowed here. However, the boardwalk, promenade, and any walkways on public lands have restricted animals.
It’s a nice place to surf and swim. The property is fenced and clean, with great views. The location is near Loch Arbour Beach.
- Timings: Monday to Friday, it’s open 24 hours and from 6 pm to 8 pm on weekends.
- Fee and Parking: Free
- Nearby Attractions: Asbury Park Boardwalk, Stephen Crane House.
- Location: Asbury Park, NJ 07712, United States.
24. Old Bridge Waterfront Park
Old Bridge Waterfront Park is an excellent place to hang out with family and friends, wrapped with scenic beauty. You can explore the environmental and educational trail. The boardwalk is nice to stroll around.
It even provides the facility to launch your canoe or kayak at Whale Creek. This park is an excellent spot for fishing. The Laurence Harbor section gives access to bait shops, local stores, and restaurants.
The Pirate’s Cove section here offers breathtaking views of Raritan Bay. The place is fantastic for wildlife viewing, and playgrounds are also there.
Dogs are allowed in Old Bridge Waterfront Park and hiking trails. However, their entry is restricted in the water.
This park can reach from Paul’s Beach, Laurence Harbor, and Pirate’s Cove in Cliffwood Beach.
- Timings: Every day from 6 am to 8 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Free
- Nearby Attractions: Addison Park, Keyport Fire Museum.
- Location: 1729 NJ-35, Lawrence Harbor, NJ 08879, United States.
25. Cliffwood Beach Waterfront Park
Cliffwood Beach is a quiet and friendly beach with sand and stones. The place includes a beautiful boardwalk and fantastic water views. It has a fishing area that is suitable for bird watching. Different species like Red-throated loon, Brant, Morning Dove, and many more have been spotted here.
Our four-legged friends are welcome here with proper guidance. The place is kid-friendly, and two small playgrounds are for kids of every age.
You can get here by bus, train or subway. The park is near (5 minutes) Rosewood bus station.
- Timings: Every day from 9 am to 8 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Free
- Nearby Attractions: Old Bridge Waterfront Park, Keyport Fire Museum.
- Location: Raritan Blvd, Keyport, NJ 07735, United States.
26. Spring Lake Dog Beach
Spring Lake is a dog-friendly beach that allows them on a leash. They can play here from the 1st of October to the 15th of May. From the 16th of May to the 30th of September, canines are not permitted here. They can play inside the fenced area from sunrise to 9 am. This fenced area is near Pitney Avenue.
The beach is beautiful and sandy. People come here for picnics, and it provides restrooms, picnic tables, and several shelters. On the Jersey Shore, the beach is in Monmouth County, and the boardwalk here has restricted dogs.
- Timings: Every day from 7 am to sunset.
- Fee and Parking: Seasonal badges for people older than 12 – $110.
- Nearby Attractions: Divine Park, Jenkinson’s Aquarium.
- Location: 410 Ocean Avenue, Spring Lake, New Jersey.
27. Keyport Waterfront Park
Keyport Waterfront Park is fun with family, friends, and pets. It includes a paved trail, gazebo, benches, fish pier, and marina. There are many fun activities here, like – jet skiing and boating.
The parks and beaches of Keyport are smoke-free. This park area holds various events, according to its official website. There are sidewalks, benches, and shelters.
Dogs are welcome here. Hot dog stands and other food trucks are available here. The park is situated near the Keyport Fire Museum.
- Timings: Open every day from 6 am to 7 pm.
- Fee and Parking: Daily passes can be purchased for $20.
- Nearby Attractions: Keyport Fire Museum, Matawan Man-Eater Mural.
- Location: American Legion Dr, Keyport, NJ 07735, United States.
28. Cheesequake State Park
Cheesequake State Park is located in Matawan, New Jersey. It’s a beautiful place with open fields, salt and freshwater marshes, northeastern hardwood forest, pine barrens, and a white cedar swamp.
The park is small but has several recreational activities, like camping, swimming, hunting, mountain biking, picnicking, and kayak tours.
A booking is needed for picnicking for at least five days. Numerous small picnic tables with grills are available. For larger groups, two reservable picnic areas are provided.
This park has excellent camp facilities. More than fifty tents, flush toilets, and shower facilities are there. They can accommodate large groups in the campground. The campground remains open from the 1st of April to the 31st of October.
There is an Interpretive Centre, where visitors can learn about Nature and Wildlife. Pets are allowed inside the park and in the family campsites. The park is situated near an Asian restaurant, “Ganga.”
- Timings: Every day from 8 am to 8 pm.
- Fee and Parking: The entry fee is $5 for weekdays and $10 for weekends. No parking charge is required.
- Nearby Attractions: Old Bridge Waterfront Park., Burrowes Mansion Museum.
- Location: 300 Gordon Rd, Matawan, NJ 07747, United States.
Find Dog-Friendly Beaches Near You
The Google map below shows you which dog-friendly beaches are near you.
Are dogs allowed on the beach in Ocean City, NJ?
Yes, a leash allows dogs on the beach in Ocean City, NJ. Though, they are only allowed from the 1st of October to the 30th of April.
Are dogs allowed on the beach in Atlantic City, NJ?
Dogs are allowed on a leash in Atlantic City Beach, NJ. However, dogs are prohibited between Memorial Day and the 15th of September.
Are dogs allowed on Wildwood Boardwalk?
Dogs on leash are allowed to walk on Wildwood Boardwalk.
Are dogs allowed at Cape May Lighthouse?
Cape May Lighthouse is generally not dog-friendly, but canines are allowed from November to March.
Any Vacation can be more enjoyable if the furry friend is with you. Dog lovers always find it difficult to leave their four-legged child alone while traveling. There are several beaches for dogs in New Jersey, which are an excellent option for dog parents to spend their vacation. The soft sand, calm weather, and water give joy to these doggos.