The USA has always been a top place for a family vacation amongst Indians. Even though it’s a well-rounded system for everything, these unknown surroundings can confuse first-timers. Therefore, a few things to do before going to the USA from India. Below is a travel checklist that must include a list of things to carry while travelling to the USA from India.
The United States of America is a clean, beautiful and modest country with many things to see. Their advancement in all technical fields and public utility facilities is unmatched by any other country. For this reason, thousands of tourists visit this country every year.
Top 25 List of things to carry while travelling to the USA from India
1. First Aid Kit
A first aid kit is essential to carry whenever you are travelling. Keep a check that it brings the important items like ointment and bandages for cuts, burn medicines, disinfectants, etc. In this current situation, it is necessary to keep away from germs at all costs and disinfect yourselves immediately when required.
Elastic Bandage to Carry to the USA
- Elastic Bandage
- Benzoin Tincture
- Biodegradable Soap
- Face Masks
- Alcohol-based Sanitizer
- Pain-relief Spray
2. Basic Medicines and Prescription
Many people have daily prescribed medicines they have to take. When travelling to the US, you must carry the prescriptions to avoid any trouble at the airport. Medicine and drug restrictions are pretty strict here, and without a proper prescription, there is a chance that your standard medicine might also get confiscated.
Top 10 Must-have Allopathy Medicines Items to Carry to the USA
- Ibuprofen / Aspirin for a headache
- Cold and Flu medicine
- Cough Syrup
- Hydrocortisone Cream for rash relief
- Diarrhoea Medicine
Top 10 must-have Homeopathy medicines items to Carry to the USA
- Arnica ointment (for external use)
- Magnesia phosphorica (phosphate of magnesia)
- Cocculus indicus
- Natrum muriaticum
- Bryonia alba
3. Vaccination Record
Vaccination is absolutely important in this situation. From now, the US government is lifting a travel ban for Indians. Indians can only enter the country if they are fully vaccinated and have a negative RT-PCR test for coronavirus.
4. Passport and Visa
Having proper travel documents is a must when entering the USA. Make sure you have a valid passport and a correct H1B visa to avoid getting deported back to India.
5. Flight Tickets
Flight is the only possible way to travel to the USA from India. Book your flight tickets ahead of your trip to avoid the last-minute hassle.
6. Accommodation Reservation Confirmation
Book your hotels in advance to enjoy a comfortable stay. There are several online hotel booking websites where you can find different accommodation options with varying price ranges.
Book the one that suits you best, and you will instantly receive your confirmation documents. Carry these when you get there to get your reserved room.
7. International Driving Permit
Acquiring an international driving permit is very important if you want to move around the streets of the USA on your own. With one of these, you can go on the famous road trips across the Grand Canyon without any worries.
8. Credit and Debit Cards
Money is essential no matter where you go. When on a trip, it’s important to carry enough money for any emergency that you may face. Cash might get stolen or displaced, so cards are more secure options.
9. Money in Cash
Even after carrying your debit or credit cards, it’s important to have cash in hand. Keep a sufficient amount of US dollars with you when going out.
It’s because small shops or roadside stalls do not accept cards or any other form of digital payment. The country’s currency is the only way out when buying something from such establishments.
10. Phone Numbers List
Keep a list of emergency contacts handy. It can prove helpful if you are in any crisis or accident and are not in a position to provide important personal details.
It’s also necessary to remember the USA’s emergency number, 911. The helpline number provides emergency assistance in every situation.
11. Indian Embassy Information
A first-time traveller can face many problems and mishaps in a foreign land. That is why knowing embassy information of their own country, such as Indian embassy information, is necessary. The officers there can provide maximum help to any Indian during a crisis.
12. Electronic Gadgets and Items
In today’s world, every human being is dependent on gadgets. Our smartphones are often the solution to even minor problems. Electronic devices like smartphones, laptops, etc., will make the trip more accessible and enjoyable.
Top 10 must-have Electronic gadgets items to Carry to the USA
- Mobile Phone (Android or iOS)
- Data Cable
- All-Purpose Adapter
- External Storage (pen drive, SD card, etc.)
- Portable Mobile Hotspot
- Portable Charger
- Noise Cancelling Headphones
13. E-copies and Soft Copies of Documents
You must carry physical copies of all essential documents during the trip. But they can get misplaced or damaged due to any mishap. Therefore, having a soft copy or E-copy of important documents like passports, flight tickets, etc., can secure your safety during times of trouble.
14. Travel Insurance
A round trip to the USA with family can be pretty costly. While on the journey, some minor problems might lead to flight or hotel cancellations and waste a lot of money. There might be some medical emergencies as well while on the trip.
Having travel insurance will save you from such unexpected losses. An insured person has the right to recover all of their losses by providing substantial evidence.
15. Keep a mobile sim card that works in the USA
Wherever a person travels, it’s important to contact family and acquaintances back home. It’s essential to have a US SIM card To maintain this connectivity in the USA.
An Indian number can work with an international plan in this country, but it’s more costly than getting a new SIM card there. A temporary phone number is a prevalent travelling norm observed in international travellers. An international SIM card will also work.
16. Different types of Clothing and Accessories
India and the USA are on two sides of the world, with a time difference of 9 hours and 30 minutes. These factors inevitably result in unfamiliar weather and surroundings.
It’s a big country with climatic conditions that differ from other states. California is a famous coast-side city, while Rhode Island is an island state.
These areas have a warmer climate throughout the year. The mountainous areas like North Carolina have colder weather year-round. Thus, it’s necessary to carry different types of clothing to travel comfortably.
For accessories like belts, wallets or sunglasses, it’s better to have your own from India as these are much more costly in the USA.
Top 10 Must-have Clothing Items to Carry to the USA
- Formals (for special occasions)
- Waterproof jacket
- Cotton clothes
- Thermal Underwear
Top 10 must-have Accessories items to Carry to the USA
- Sun hat
- Walking shoes
17. A Few Food Items
Keeping a few snacks handy will always help during a trip. Some routes might get highly lengthy, with no stops for refreshments nearby. These snacks will prove to be useful then and satisfy your hunger.
Having some dry snacks when travelling with a child is essential as they get hungry more often than adults. They also can’t stay long on an empty stomach and might get cranky.
Top 10 food items to carry to the USA from India
- Beverages (only in powdered form and inside cans)
- Milk (only for infants)
- Canned Vegetable Oil
18. Kid’s essentials
Travelling with little children is a fun yet troublesome thing. You get to create beautiful memories with the little one and need to prepare extra carefully for their sake.
Make sure to carry their toys, favourite books, snacks and other things to keep them entertained when travelling to the USA with kids.
Top 10 must-have things to get from India to the USA for a baby
- Sleep Sack
- Travel Crib
- Travel Toys
- Baby Carrier
- Spill-proof Cup
- Essential Medicines
- White Noise Machine
- Sanitary Wipes
19. Indian Student’s Essentials
Out of all the Indian travellers travelling to the USA every year, most of them are students. The USA offers top education facilities in all different fields, attracting f1 students and academic professionals worldwide.
Bringing the essential items is very important for students travelling for the first time. It helps in comfortable living and also cuts off extra expenses.
Top 10 must-have items for Indian students to study in the USA
- Comfortable Clothes
- Formal wear
- Hand Towels
- All-weather shoes
- Pillow Covers
- Table Clock
- Passport Holder
Top 10 Important Documents to Carry to USA for Students from India
- TOEFL Scorecard
- Original mark sheets
- Degree Certificates
- Original transcripts
- Immunization form
- Admission Acceptance letter and other documents
- Recommendation Letter
20. Pet Vaccination documents and other essentials
Some people leave their beloved pets in an animal shelter while going on a trip, while others like to see the world with them. Travelling with pets requires additional travel documents. They are allowed on only selective airlines.
Proper vaccination details are required by the authorities To get a ticket for these airlines. This procedure is followed in the entire USA to allow pet entry.
21. Foreign Travel Card
A foreign travel card or Forex card is not an absolute necessity if you can use debit and credit cards internationally. But getting a Forex card issued when exchanging currency is always safe. This card is a substitute for debit or credit cards in foreign countries.
22. Personal Care Items
Personal hygiene and care can be a bothering area when travelling abroad. Items of preference might not be readily available in some places. You can easily find most personal care items in Indian markets in the USA, but the prices will be much higher than here. Thus, it’s better to carry the necessary items in personal luggage.
Top 10 must-have personal care items to Carry to the USA
- Sewing Items
- Hair straightener
- Hair curler
- Nail cutter
- Dental floss
- Paper scissors
23. Eyeglasses and Lenses
If you have prescription glasses or lenses, carry an extra pair for safety. Keep this pair safely in your luggage for future use. They should be in proper cases to prevent damage from movement or weight pressure. You should also carry useful cleaning items along with you.
24. Kitchen Essentials
There are several Indian restaurants in the nooks and corners of the USA, but finding the authentic taste of Indian cuisine will not be easy.
During a long US trip, most Indians crave home-cooked or authentic desi foods. It’s important to carry small, portable kitchen utensils that you can use to make quick and simple home-cooked meals To satisfy your taste buds.
Top 10 must-have Kitchen essential items to Carry to the USA
- Cutting Board
- Portable Grinder
- Pressure Cooker
- Measuring Cups or Spoons
- Bottle Opener
- Storage Container
Toiletries are everyday items needed for cleaning up. When on a trip, being clean and fresh makes everyone feel better. Thus, toiletries should always be kept handy.
You can easily find most of the regular toiletry items in the USA. Therefore, carrying all the toiletries for the trip is unnecessary, but you can bring some for your convenience.
Top 10 Must-have Toiletries Items to Carry to the USA
- Shaving Cream
- Body Wash
- Hair Brush
- Face Wash
- Hair / Body Oil
Top 10 Must-have Items to Carry for Women to the USA
- Sanitary products
- hair straightener
- hair curler
- Junk Jewelry
- Lip balm
- Make-up remover
Top 10 Tips while Travelling to the USA from India
- Get travel insurance for you and your family.
- Make sure to carry a properly updated passport with the correct visa.
- Don’t carry a large amount of cash in your wallet.
- Always be respectful to native people and their culture.
- A tip should be between 15% – 20% of the total bill.
- Left-side driving is the only option.
- Maintain your lane while driving.
- Always keep your ID and passport safe with you.
- Check weather details online before visiting any place.
- Don’t smoke in public.
Top 10 Tips for Women while Travelling to the USA from India
- Properly research the place you are visiting or staying.
- It’s okay to spend a little extra for safety. Don’t book any shady hotel just for the low booking rate.
- Keep your valuables with you when moving from one place to another.
- Carry only the items you require.
- Don’t trust random strangers too easily.
- Don’t accept drinks from strangers.
- Don’t leave your drink unattended in a crowded place like a pub.
- Avoid going to deserted areas alone.
- Always keep a watch on your surroundings.
- Rent a car to travel from place to place.
Top 10 Things Not to Carry while Travelling to the USA from India
- Fruits and Vegetables: Natural food items like fruits and vegetables can be carriers for pests and insects. These pests might harm the local crops of the USA, so they are banned at the airport.
- Meats: No animal products or by-products are allowed in the USA. Both raw and packaged meat from other countries are prohibited.
- Dry grains and Pulses: Such agricultural products might carry pests or diseases, harming crop production in the USA. For this reason, the airport confiscates dry grains, pulses, flour, etc.
- Alcohol: USA security officials monitor alcohol brought by tourists. The alcohol rules differ in different states. Some states have banned certain types of alcohol. According to the amount of alcohol brought, the holder might need an alcohol handling license. If you are travelling with alcohol, it’s better to contact an appropriate alcoholic beverage control board of the state you are travelling to.
- Ceramic items: There are no particular restrictions on travelling with items made from ceramic, but they may be dangerous for your health. Ceramic items can contain lead, which might seep into other items in the bag, like food and beverages. These will then turn toxic. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration thus advises you not to carry such things on your trip.
- Cultural artefacts: Cultural artefacts with historical significance are delicate and sensitive things looked after by several laws. It’s better not to carry such items to avoid legal complexities.
- Firearms or ammunition: Entry with weapons and ammunition is strictly prohibited in the USA. Carrying guns into the USA requires a proper cause with related documents. Even then, these firearms are allowed under extreme security and scrutiny.
- Gas cylinder: Gas cylinders are hazardous items and can cause vast amounts of damage if mishandled. Therefore, it’s not allowed on an aeroplane.
- Books: Reading a book is an excellent way to spend time; bringing one or two books can help you. But avoid getting many of them as almost all kinds of books are available here. Bookstores and libraries are everywhere, with various books to pick from.
- Women’s Hygiene items: Women’s hygiene products are readily available in the USA. There are different brands available as well. So only carrying the necessities during the trip will suffice.
Documents to carry to the USA for students from India?
When going to the USA for education, it’s very important to carry all proper documents like an acceptance letter, scorecard of former institution, recommendation letters, etc.
Things to do before moving to the USA from India?
Before moving to the USA, check and correct any problems related to passport/visa, bank account, income tax, house lease, etc.
What can I not bring to the USA from India?
There are restrictions on several things when going through US customs. You cannot bring things like raw meat, fruits, vegetables, firearms, illegal drugs and other illegal substances to the USA from India.
Can we bring food items to the USA from India?
Dry food items like snacks are allowed in the USA. Most dried spices, tea or coffee are also allowed.