16 Best Indian Restaurants In Maine 2023
Indian restaurants in Maine are popular among locals for tasty foods, various buffets, and takeout options. The delicious flavors and the wonderful aroma were always known for attracting people of all nationalities and cultures.
Indian cuisine is based on the collaboration of many spices, creating a satisfying heat. The bread, rice, tandoors, and even desserts are practically flavor bombs. They even have a lot of health benefits. Thus, it makes a very rare combination of healthy and tasty at the same time.
The craze for Indian food in the United States has led to the opening of many Indian restaurants around the country. The Indian foods in Maine are known for their delicious flavors.
16 Best Indian Restaurants In Maine
1. Hi Bombay Portland, Maine
Hi Bombay in Portland is an authentic Indian restaurant that focuses on serving quality flavors and ingredients. Their menu draws influence from Himalayan cuisine in terms of flavor. Their butter chicken and naan are the most famous among regular customers.
They offer delicious South Indian appetizers and homemade chutneys. The refined diner-style interior is perfect for an intimate get-together with friends and family. Indian paintings and art pieces decorate the restaurant walls.
The environment inside is casual and relaxing. However, Hi Bombay currently offers takeaways and deliveries.
- Nearby Landmark: Beside Corey & Co clothing store.
- Must-try Items: Butter Chicken, Garlic Naan, Butter Naan, Mango Lassi.
- Timings: It operates from 11 am to 3 pm for lunch and 5 pm to 9 pm for dinner. The restaurant remains closed on Tuesday.
Address: 1 Pleasant St, Portland, ME 04101, United States.
2. Serendib, Ellsworth
Serendib’s exquisite menu has brought some much-needed spice to the restaurant scene of Ellsworth. This family-owned restaurant downtown serves authentic delicacies from Sri Lanka and South India. Spice levels are adjustable. Plates here are served with portions that the entire table can share; it represents the Indian culture.
The mix of hot chilies, garlic, and other spices in their curries is the restaurant’s trademark. Serendib even sells these different curry pastes in jars for their customers to try and cook the dishes at home. Fresh meat and vegetables sourced from local markets are used for the dishes. There are vegan options like lentil cakes as well.
The drinks menu includes beer and wines, including the ones brewed in Sri Lanka. The cozy vibe attracts customers to have a homely South Asian feast.
- Nearby Landmark: Camden National Bank.
- Must-try Items: Chicken Tikka Masala, Sri Lankan Curry, Lentil Cakes, Vindaloo, Chicken Wings, and Cheesecake.
- Timings: It operates from Tuesday to Thursday from 10:30 am – 7:30 pm and from 10:30 am-8:00 pm on Friday and Saturday. The restaurant remains closed on Monday and Sunday.
Address: 2 State St, Ellsworth, Maine, 04605, United States.
3. Bombay Mahal ME
Bombay Mahal is located in the heart of Maine in Brunswick. It’s the oldest Indian restaurant in Maine and was established in 1991. The restaurant is run by an Indian couple who brings the true flavors of their homeland into their food. Their delicious Indian foods have earned them more than 65 awards and accolades.
Experience the taste of northern India’s traditional dishes like tandooris and Mughlai items. Food items from the South are also available Chicken and Lamb are the meat options, There are vegetarian, and seafood sections on the menu, and Spice levels are adjustable.
Get a traditional Indian beverage like lassi or tea as an appetizer Alcohols include beers and wine. An outdoor seating area is available. The Bombay Mahal takes reservations and offers deliveries.
- Nearest Landmark: Moderation Brewery.
- Must-try Items: Garlic Naan, Lamb Curry, Mulligatawny Soup, Chicken Tikka Masala, Shahi Paneer.
- Timings: The restaurant is open on all days except Wednesday. Lunch timings are from 11 am – 2:45 pm, and dinner timings are from 4 pm – 8:45 pm.
Address: 99 Main St, Brunswick, ME 04011, United States.
4. Taste of India Bangor Maine
Upholding the title of the only Indian restaurant in Bangor, Taste of India is a site of the feast. Their platter of food will give you the royal treatment. Their lunch buffet is popular among locals to satisfy their taste buds.
The menu includes vegan and vegetarian options Some traditional Indian sweets and desserts are also featured on the menu Heat levels for all items are moderate and adjustable according to preferences. The complimentary tamarind and mint chutney are delicious. They offer takeout and delivery and arrange catering for any special occasion.
- Nearest Landmark: Besides the Maine Discovery Museum.
- Must-try Items: Tandoori Lamb, Saag Paneer, Garlic Naan, Mango Lassi
- Timings: It opens at 11:00 am and closes at 9:00 pm from Tuesday to Saturday. The restaurant operates from 12:00 pm – 9:00 pm on Sunday and Monday.
Address: 68 Main St Bangor, ME 04401, United States.
Read 12 Best Indian Restaurants in Grand Rapids Michigan
5. Tulsi Indian Restaurant Portland, ME
Tulsi is a mix of both traditional and modern from Northern India. The restaurant considers India’s rich and diverse history of food. It meticulously displays it in their menu Innovation is also entertained here as the chefs have implemented some western flair into some of their authentic Indian recipes to make them more contemporary.
The restaurant ambiance is bright and cozy, with hearty conversations flowing out of every corner. The bright red and yellow walls and steel serving utensils reminisce the Indian dining scene.
Tulsi Indian Restaurant serves Moghlai, other traditional cuisines, and a few contemporary dishes. Their ingredients are all fresh and sourced from local markets. Spices are specially imported from India. There are many vegan and vegetarian options to choose from their menu.
Their drinks collection is also extraordinary. Tulsi has a wide range of beers, wines, and cocktails. The most famous, however, is their selection of Indian drinks. Try out their Sunday lunch buffet to have a taste of everything.
- Nearest Landmark: M&T Bank.
- Must-try Items: Bhindi Masala , Chicken Tikka Masala , Palak Paneer, Tandoori Salmon.
- Timings: Tulsi operates for dinner service from Tuesday to Sunday from 4 pm to 9 pm Sunday afternoon buffet is from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm; Mondays are closed.
Address: 20 Walker St Kittery, ME 03904, United States.
Read 20 Best Indian Restaurants in Parsippany NJ
6. Mother India, Lewiston Portland
Visit Mother India in Lewiston to taste some of the best tandooris in Maine. The restaurant is run by the same owners of Taste of India in Bangor. Thus their extensive knowledge of classic Indian dishes plays a huge role in the outlet’s success.
The use of grinded spice mix elevates the taste of their food. The famous tandoori items are prepared in a clay oven, which gives them a smoky, earthy taste. Spice levels are normally on the higher side but can be adjusted.
The reasonable pricing of Mother India attracts more and more customers every day. There are vegetarian options for each course on the menu.
They organize a lunch buffet all day of the week except for Mondays. The atmosphere is casual and comfortable. The interior is decorated with beautiful chandeliers to reminisce about Indian palaces. Free parking space is available near the restaurant.
- Nearest Landmark: Quiet City Books.
- Must-try Items: Different Naans, Madras Chicken, Chicken Curry, Paneer Korma, Chicken Korma.
- Timings: Open all days a week. Lunch is from 11:00 am to 3:00 pm, and dinner timings are from 4:30 pm to 9:00 pm. It remains closed for lunch on Mondays.
Address: 114 Lisbon St Lewiston, ME 04240, United States.
Read 20 Best Indian Restaurants in Farmington Hills MI
7. Taj Indian Cuisine South Portland
Taj Indian Cuisine is the perfect place for pocket-friendly flavorful Indian dishes. The homely ambiance invites diners for a hearty Indian dinner at the end of the day. Their menu is a combination of the regional cuisines of the country.
Taj restaurant is known for its flavor-loaded sauces, made using nuts and creams. Spices like cinnamon, cumin, saffron, etc., play a major role in these curries. The menu has a separate section for vegetarian and gluten-free items. There is a kid’s menu as well.
Apart from these Indian foods, the restaurant also serves Indian desserts like gulab jamun and drinks like lassi. Alcoholic beverages found here are wines and beers.
Takeaway and delivery options are available. There is a buffet arranged for every afternoon.
- Nearest Landmark: Rockler Woodworking and Hardware Store.
- Must-try Items: Butter Chicken, Garlic Naan, Goat Biryani, Masala Dosa, Chili Paneer.
- Timings: Sunday to Thursday from 11 am to 9:30 pm and Friday, and Saturday from 11 am and 9:30 pm. Lunch Buffet from 11 am to 2:15 pm.
Address: 200 Gorham Rd, South Portland, ME 04106, United States.
Read 15 Best Indian Restaurants in Columbus Ohio
8. India Palace Portland, ME
India Palace is a Bangladeshi family-owned restaurant in Portland. Their menu contains quality Indian food with a Himalayan twist. The main focus, however, is on their fish preparations and authentic food items of Bengali cuisine.
There are vegetarian dishes as well. Lamb and chicken are the available meat options Spice levels are on the milder side; Indian beverages like Darjeeling tea and lassi are available Beers, and wines are the only alcoholic beverage options.
The service staff here is quite efficient. It will expertly guide you through the menu to help and select the food suitable for your palate. The restaurant offers takeouts and deliveries. Parking space is available in front of the restaurant.
- Nearest Landmark: The Sock Shack.
- Must-try Items: Dal Tadka, Chicken Korma, Paratha, Samosa, Butter Chicken, Mango Lassi.
- Timings: Open Wednesday to Monday from 2 pm to 9 pm. Closed on Tuesdays.
Address: 565 Congress St, Portland, ME 04101, United States.
Read 12 Best Strawberry Picking Farms in Maine
9. Desi Kitchen Augusta
Desi Kitchen is a humble establishment in Hallowell. It’s run by a Pakistani owner who brings the bona fide flavor of his homeland Pakistan and its neighboring country India to the streets of Maine.
Fresh ingredients are used to make quality food items. A multitude of different spices makes every dish special here. Chicken and Lamb are the meat options available. There is a separate vegetarian and fish section on the menu as well.
Free parking space is available outside the restaurant. They also offer catering services for any special occasion.
- Nearest Landmark: eStream Salon.
- Must-try Items: Lahori Naan, Seekh Kabab, Chicken Tikka, Chicken Curry, Dal Tadka, Kheer.
- Timings: Open Tuesday to Sunday from 11:00 am to 8:30 pm. Closed on Monday.
Address: 103 Water St, Hallowell, ME 04347, United States.
10. Ghee Portland Augusta
Ghee Portland is a fusion Indian street food pop-up truck by Radhika Shah Patel and Sam Patel. They are situated at Apres in East Bayside. The truck operates only on Fridays and Saturdays.
They sell a revolutionized version of Indian street food, and a limited menu focuses mainly on chaats and nachos inspired by desi flavors. The dishes interchange weekly, and thus their customers taste various Indian street food each week.
- Nearest Landmark: Port Fiber craft store.
- Must-try Items: Sandwiches, Chaat Nachos, Samosas.
- Timings: Friday from 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm and Saturday from 5:00 pm to 8:00 pm.
Address: 148 Anderson St, Portland, ME 04101, United States.
11. Green Elephant Augusta
Green Elephant is a vegetarian-only restaurant in Portland. It was established in 2007 by Thai chef Danai Sriprasert. The restaurant serves cuisines from Asian countries like Thailand, India, Malaysia, China, and Japan.
This Asian-influenced vegetarian menu is a fresh look at the culinary scene of Portland. There is a contemporary touch to every dish; most items are vegan. Their wonderful flavors will satisfy meat lovers as well. The menu is well prepared and has something for everyone.
Local products like local coffee, wine, sodas, Portland beers, etc. are also served. They offer takeouts and deliveries, but reservations are not accepted.
- Nearest Landmark: State Theater.
- Must-try Items: Pad Thai, Vegetable Dumplings, Tofu Tikka Masala, Steamed Assorted Vegetables with Peanut Sauce, Pineapple Brown Rice.
- Timings: operates from Thursday to Saturday from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm and Tuesday to Sunday from 5:00 pm to 9:30 pm.
Address: 608 Congress St, Portland, ME 04101, United States.
12. Jewel of India
Jewel of India is filled with Indian vibes with beautiful patterns and motifs on the walls. The restaurant is small and simple, with covered table tops and black cushioned chairs. It’s owned by an Indian family who makes their food with great depth of flavor.
The menu contains varied dishes that are both vegetarian and vegan. They season your entrees according to your wishes to make them more suitable for your palate. They are mainly booked for takeaways. Portions are quite large compared to the low price of each dish.
Parking is available on the street in front. You can also order online for deliveries.
- Nearest Landmark: Drift and Wander Boutique.
- Must-try Items: Mutter Paneer, Samosas, Chicken Tikka, Naan, Tandoori Chicken, Vindaloo, Chicken Korma, Kulfi.
- Timings: Open from Tuesday to Sunday from 11:00 am – 9:00 pm.
Address: 26 Alfred St Biddeford, ME 04005, United States.
13. Shere Punjab Brunswick
Shere Punjab brings the big and bold flavors of Punjab to Brunswick. This small eatery has a modern interior with paintings on the wall and hanging chandeliers from above.
They use Indian spices and aromatic herbs to prepare their mouth-watering dishes. Chicken and Lamb are the meat options available; seafood dishes are also available. Their specialty is biryani. They also offer Indian drinks like tea and lassi.
They take reservations and offer takeouts. Street parking is available. They also offer catering services for events.
- Nearest Landmark: Near Bayview Gallery.
- Must-try Items: Chicken Tikka Masala, Malai Kofta, House Special Biryani, Lamb Rogan Josh.
- Timings: Monday to Saturday 11 am – 3 pm and 5 pm – 9 pm Sunday 12 pm – 3 pm and 3:30 pm – 9 pm.
Address: 46 Maine St, Brunswick, ME 0401, United States.
14. Royal Indian Bar Harbor, ME
Royal Indian is a beautiful eatery in Bar Harbor that serves Indian and Nepalese delicacies. You can sit in the dining hall inside or enjoy the weather by sitting outdoors. Wooden tables and Chinese lanterns adorn the place.
They specialize in tandooris and biryani. Fresh ingredients from nearby vendors are used to make the tasty dishes on the menu. Lamb and chicken are the two meat options. There are also fish, shrimp, and lobster items on the menu. The menu contains vegan and vegetarian dishes as well.
Their services include delivery, takeout, and catering. The staff here is extremely hospitable and efficient.
- Nearest Landmark: Bar Harbor Fire Department.
- Must-try Items: Tandoori Chicken, Cheese Naan, Samosas, Dal Curry, Butter Chicken, Lamb Korma, and Jackfruit Curry.
- Timings: open every week from 11:00 am – 9:30 pm.
Address: 39 Rodick St, Bar Harbor, ME 04609, United States.
15. Tandoor Portland, ME
Tandoor is a family-owned Indian restaurant established in Portland in 1994. The ambiance inside is casual and inviting, and the aroma of spices fills the air. The decor is completed with Indian designs and traditional artifacts. The utensils, wall decors, and chandeliers have traditional designs and motifs. Car parking is available in front of the restaurant.
The main item on the menu is their tandoor grill platter of chicken or Lamb. There are various bread options, such as naans, kulchas, parathas, etc. The menu contains an ample amount of vegetarian and vegan dishes, too. Each item has the right flavors to soothe you.
Beers and wines are the only alcoholic beverages available. Some of these drinks are imported from India. Non Alcoholic Indian beverages like lassi are also available. Tandoor takes reservations and offers takeout.
- Nearest Landmark: Portland House of Music and Events (HOME).
- Must-try Items: Tandoori Chicken, Saag Daal, Chicken Tikka Masala, Onion Kulcha, Garlic Naan, Lamb Curry, Mango Lassi.
- Timings: Lunch is served Tuesday to Friday from 11:30 am – 2:30 pm. Dinner is from 4:30 pm – 9:00 pm on Monday, 4:30 pm – 9:30 pm on Tuesday to Thursday, and 4:30 pm – 10:00 pm on Friday to Sunday.
Address: 88 Exchange St, Portland, ME 04101, United States.
16. Namaste Indian Take Out Food
Namaste Indian is a takeout restaurant in Rockport. They operate on weekends and provide deliveries. Food prepared by chef Dee Patel is simple and delicious Namaste Indian is known for its home-cooked style Indian vegetarian meals. The menu contains a wide range of authentic Indian appetizers, entrees, mains, and desserts. They also have separate menus for vegan and gluten-free items. The owners of this eatery practice plastic-free packaging for a better environment Namaste Indian also provides catering services.
- Nearest Landmark: beside Ledges by the Bay inn.
- Must-try Items: Dal Makhani, Palak Paneer, Samosa, Aloo Gobi, Veg Biryani, Eggplant Curry.
- Timings: Friday to Sunday from 11:00 am – 8:00 pm.
Address: 930 Commercial St Rockport, ME 04856, United States.
Above mentioned restaurants are the best places to go for Indian food in Maine. You can find regional dishes, street food, and various types of drinks and desserts in these Indian restaurants in Maine. Plan a visit today to immerse yourself in a world of curries and sweets.