As of now, India is yet to have a Michelin star honour. But the country is near to achieving the award, and many 5-star restaurants are on the way.
It is a dream for every elite chef to be a part of the Michelin Guide. In France, a team of motorists moved around the country to travel and taste the street foods of different restaurants.
They first introduced the Michelin Star Restaurant Guide based on their experience. They marked the places as per the number of stars. Now it has some world’s best food critics who look out for new chefs and restaurants.
List of 15 Best Michelin Star-Worthy Restaurants in India
1. Yauatcha Quest Mall Kolkata
The restaurant is in Quest Mall, near the Park Circus 7 Points. It has been a magnificent spot for diners since 2014. It primarily serves Cantonese cuisine and has a superb collection of wines and champagnes.
The place has a warm, welcoming indoor décor that depicts the traditional Chinese teahouse in a contemporary style. It also has minimalistic, classy decor complemented by the bustling cityscape. You can find more outlets in Mumbai, Delhi, and Bangalore.
- Price range: Approximately 2500 for two without alcohol
- Must-try items: Dim sums and deserts.
- How to book: Open daily for dine-in, takeaway, and delivery from 12 pm to 7:30 pm.
- Facilities & Services: They provide Home Delivery, online orders, Wheelchair Access, and Mall Parking.
Address: Park Circus, 5th Floor, Quest Mall, Syed Amir Ali Avenue, Beck Bagan, Ballygunge, Kolkata, West Bengal 700017
2. Dum Pukht, ITC Sonar India Kolkata
Dum Pukht has a comprehensive menu list and serves a variety of Indian delicacies. The place revived the country’s age-old traditional and polished manners of serving and cooking. It’s a perfect place for luxury dining with a regal ambience and a diverse list of impeccable and aromatic dishes.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 4000 for two without alcohol
- Must-try items: Kakori kebabs, Shahi Tukda, Chocolate mousse cake, Biryani etc.
- How to book: Reserve a table from their website Or call +(91) (33) 2345 4545).
- Facilities & Services: Wheelchair, luxury dining, parking, indoor and full bar available, table booking recommended.
Address: ITC Sonar Bangla Sheraton & Tower, Em Bypass, 1, Haldane Avenue, Kolkata West Bengal 700046.
3. Hakkasan Bandra West Mumbai, India
The restaurant is known for unmatched customer service coupled with delicious Cantonese cuisine. The Hakkasan Mumbai is nothing less than a Michelin-star restaurant in India. The place is famous for its refined Chinese decor, calm ambient lighting, and delicious menu.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 2600 for two without alcohol
- Must-try items: Dim sum plates, carrot cakes, chocolate mousse, noodles.
- How to order: Call +9198203 20842 or +9198201 92068.
- Facilities & Services: wheelchair facility and parking available, table reservation required, free Wi-Fi, smoking area, and bar facility available.
Address: 2nd Floor, Krystal Building, Waterfield Road, Bandra West, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400050
4. Ziya Restaurant, The Oberoi at Nariman Point Mumbai
Housed in The Oberoi Hotel, this five-star restaurant offers a variety of Indian cuisine. Ziya restaurant is known to provide a Michelin-starred experience and is famous for the “open kitchen trend.”
While dining, enjoy the view of delicious dish preparation through the glass partition. On Ziya’s menu, they also have regular dishes like paneer makhani and uttapam lasagna.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 4500 for two without alcohol.
- Must try: Famous Punjabi Dal makhani food, mutton biryani, Delhi chat, wine, Matka Murgi.
- How to order: Order from the website or call +91 22 6632 6210
- Facilities & Services: Wheelchair facility, indoor seating Wi-Fi available, sea view, brunch, and table booking are recommended.
- Dress code: For Men wear full-length trousers and closed shoes.
- Child Policy: Bellow Children 8 years old are allowed to dine up to 8:00 pm.
Address: The Oberoi, Mumbai, Nariman Point, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400021
5. Wasabi by Morimoto, The Tajmahal Palace, Colaba Mumbai, India
Wasabi by Morimoto, the 5-star luxury hotel, presents the Japanese culture in the foods. The items are wasabi, seafood, etc. Signature and popular dishes include white fish carpaccio, Black cod miso, and Wasabi Crème brûlée. Apart from these dishes, you will not be disappointed with the ever-expanding menu list.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 10000 for two without alcohol
- Must-try items: Sushi Platter, Cod, Wine, Tempura
- How to order: Call to reserve a table (+91-22-6665-3202)
- Timing: 7:00 PM to 11:45 PM
- Dress code: Smart Casual
Address: Taj Hotel, Apollo Bandar, Colaba, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400001
6. Indian Accent, Lodhi Road India Delhi
Founded by Rohit Khattar, this restaurant has been recorded as one of Asia’s 50 best restaurants. The Lodhi Hotel has branches in New York and London, and this restaurant is famous for the “Inventive Indian cuisine” of chef Manish Mehrotra.
The Indian Accent offers Indian dishes with a mix of global and local touches. With a gorgeous décor and an innovative menu, this hotel almost achieved the honour of a Michelin-starred restaurant in India.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 5000 for two without alcohol
- Must-try items: Dal Makhani, Chaat, Butter Chicken Kulcha, Naan
- How to order: Reserve a table by email (reservations.[email protected]) or call +91 11 6617 5151 or +91 9871117968
- Facilities & Services: Indoor seating, full bar facility, parking and luxury dining available, table booking recommended, Wi-Fi available.
Address: The Lodhi, Lodhi Road, CGO Complex, Pragati Vihar, New Delhi, Delhi 110003
7. Le Cirque, the Leela Palace, New Delhi
Delhi’s one of the grandest and most prestigious restaurants, and Le Cirque hosts many celebrities and social dignitaries worldwide. Set with the most luxurious French and Italian cuisine and environs, the experience of dining out here is synonymous with that of a Michelin-starred restaurant.
Chef Matteo’s six-tasting course menu will take you on an astonishing culinary journey. You can have a personal chef’s table or exclusive private dining rooms.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 5000 for two without alcohol
- Must-try items: scallops, crème brûlée, pumpkin soup, cocktail
- How to book: Call +91 11 3933 1234 or email – [email protected]
- Facilities & Services: wheelchair, Wi-Fi, and full bar available, table booking recommended.
Address: The Leela Palace, 10th Floor, Diplomatic Enclave, New Delhi, Delhi 110023
8. Megu Restaurant, The Leela Palace, New Delhi
‘Megu’ in Japanese means’ blessing.’ And this restaurant is a blessing for all food lovers. It offers authentic flavours and hospitality from Japan.
The most exciting feature of this 5-star restaurant is that it reinvents all Japanese dishes while preserving their original flavour. With elegant decorations with a touch of glamour and luxury, you will have one of your best dining experiences here.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 5500 for two without alcohol
- How to order: For table reservations, call +91 (11) 39331360
- Must-try dishes: scallops, sashimi, salmon, wasabi prawns
- Facilities & Services: Indoor and outdoor seating, full bar facility, parking and luxury dining available, table booking recommended, Wi-Fi available.
Address: The Leela Palace, Diplomatic Enclave, Chanakyapuri, New Delhi 110023
9. Baluchi – A Pan Indian Restaurant India Delhi
With various dishes for vegetarians and non-vegetarians, the Baluchi at ‘The Lalit’ specializes in North Indian, seafood, Mughlai, and others. The dining experience in such a luxurious royal ambience is more than tasting excellent food. The restaurant is known for its authentic dishes and world-class services.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 4500 for two without alcohol
- How to order: For table reservations, call 011 4444 7777
- Must-try items: Dal Balluchi, Paneer Kulcha, Paan Kulfi
- Facilities & Services: full bar, luxury, indoor seating available.
Address: 2nd Floor, Barakhamba Rd, Fire Brigade Lane, Connaught Place, New Delhi, Delhi 110001
10. Varq, Taj Mahal Hotel India Delhi
This award-winning restaurant presents a mélange of grandeur, luxury, and style. Varq is one of the first restaurants that started the concept of pre-plated Indian food. It engages the five senses in spectacularly decorated, tasty food on the palate.
They promise to balance the aroma of Indian spices in the food and maintain a standard for contemporary Indian cuisine. The restaurant is trendy for Seafood, North Indian Kebab, etc.
- Price: Approximately 5000 for two without alcohol
- How to order: To reserve a table call +91-011-66513151
- Must-try items: Bharwan Bhindi, Jalebi, Lamb, Dessert, Tea, Bread.
- Facilities & Services: Wheelchair Accessible, Valet Parking Available, Indoor Seating, Full Bar Available, Wi-Fi, Luxury Dining
Address: The Taj Mahal Hotel, 1, Mansingh Road, New Delhi, 110011, India
11. Baan Tao Restaurant, Hyatt Pune
This 5-star hotel offers food from Chinese, Thai, Malaysian, and other Southeast Asian delicacies. Baan Tao is an award-winning Pan Asian restaurant.
Baan Tao provides multiple seating options to suit your mood. Decorated according to the warm, aesthetically pleasing Chinese homes, Baan Tao also organizes Asian street food festivals every Thursday and Baan Tao brunch on Sundays.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 3000 for two without alcohol
- Must-try items: dumplings, sushi, clear soup, dim sum
- How to order: For table reservations, call +91 20 4141 1234
- Facilities & Services: Buffet, outdoor or indoor seating, wheelchair, and parking available, table booking recommended.
Address: Hyatt Pune, next to Aga Khan Palace, 88, Nagar Rd, Kalyani Nagar, Pune, Maharashtra 411006
12. Chingari, Sheraton Grand Pune Bund Garden Hotel
Fine and authentic North Indian food with breathtaking views of Pune, Chingari is one of the best hotels in India. They set it on a beautifully landscaped and well-designed rooftop terrace. This restaurant offers you well-crafted north Indian dishes and the flavours of Maharashtra.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 2500 for two without alcohol
- Must-try items: Chicken dum biryani, Galouti kebab, Butter chicken, Cocktails
- How to order: For table reservations, call +91 20 6641 1111
- Facilities & Services: Full bar, outdoor, poolside seating available, parking available, table booking recommended.
Address: Raja Bahadur Mill Road, Pune 411001 India
13. Dakshin, ITC Kakatiya Hyderabad
Starting its journey from Sheraton in Chennai, it has advanced its branches in Sheraton New Delhi, ITC Kakatiya Hyderabad, ITC Maratha Mumbai, and many more. It offers you a variety of South Indian delicacies with its elegant Dakshin décor.
- Price: Approximately ₹ 3400 for two without alcohol
- How to order: For table reservations, call +(91) (40) 2340 0132
- Must-try items: Banana dosa, thali, chocolate cake, masala prawn
- Facilities & Services: Indoor seating, Wi-Fi, and wheelchair facility provided, table booking recommended.
Address: ITC Kakatiya, 6-3-1187, Begumpet, Hyderabad, Telangana 500016
14. Villa Maya at Trivandrum
Villa Mya is an award-winning Indian restaurant featuring global cuisine. The restaurant is in a graceful, restored 18th-century home, including a garden patio. This place is located just 4 minutes away by car from Sreevaraham temple.
They offer different menus like – the grand villa menu, bar menu, grilled in the garden menu, and vegetarian menu. Each food item is carefully handpicked for its cultural heritage, authenticity, and fullness. The menu showcases the wide range of cuisines of countries with a history of trading with Kerala.
They offer cuisines from different parts of the world, like – Kerala, India, Morocco, and Italy.
They have a tradition of serving an antique spice box that enhances the flavours of food. The place remains open every day from 11 am to 10:30 pm.
- Price: Starts from ₹1000 – ₹1500 ( per person ).
- Must-try items: Kebabs, tender beef skirts, tiramisu, pasta etc.
- How to book: Reservations and bookings can be quickly made through the official website. The contact number is available there.
- Facilities & Services: They provide several facilities & services, like a parking facility, Outdoor seating, an Airport picking facility, Vegan & gluten-free options, etc.
Address: Near Muthoot Skychef, 120, Airport Road, Injakkal, West Fort, Trivandrum, Kerala 695008.
15. Yauatcha Bangalore
Recently, India created a massive worldwide hike in the culinary sector. Many of them get The Michelin Star ranking. Among them, Yauatcha is very famous globally. Yauatcha opened a restaurant in London in 2004 and earned a Michelin star.
A few years ago, Yauatcha restaurant opened branches in the major cities of India. Like Kolkata, Delhi, Mumbai, and Bangalore. It’s almost a Michelin Star restaurant In India.
- Must try: Crispy Prawn Cheung Fun, Mango Mascarpone Gateau, Crispy Duck Roll, Sesame Prawn Toast, Raspberry Delice, Chocolate Hazelnut Mousse.
- Price: For a meal, approx. Rs. 2000 Cost for two without alcohol. For a meal approx. Rs.5, 000 costs for two with alcohol.
- How to book: Call on +91-9731496901
- Opening hours: Monday–Thursday from 12:00 pm to 10:30 pm. Friday–Sunday from 12:00 pm to 11:30 pm.
- Facilities & Services: Home Delivery, Wheelchair Accessible, Valet Parking Available, Wi-Fi, Disabled Friendly, Indoor Seating, Table booking recommended, Kid Friendly
Address: Yauatcha Bengaluru Level 5, 1 MG Road Mall Bengaluru 560 008
Michelin Star Restaurant Guide
The Michelin guide was first introduced around 1900. Then, there were a few cars on the street in France. The publication of the Michelin guide was an attempt to increase the demand for cars. This guide, published by Édouard and André Michelin, provided helpful information related to vehicles.
Since the guide’s restaurant section was gaining immense popularity, it started giving stars to various fine dining restaurants in 1926. Subsequently, the green cover was changed to red. At present, the red guide is for restaurants and dining. The green guide documents reviews and also rates attractions other than restaurants.
Are There Any Michelin Star Chefs In India?
Yes, India has 7 Indian Michelin star chefs who achieved the award.
- Vineet Bhatia: He was the first Indian chef-restaurateur to receive a Michelin star once the guide started. He got the Michelin star in 2001 for his London-based Zaika restaurant.
- Alfred Prasad: He is the youngest Indian chef to achieve a Michelin star. Alfred is an executive chef in Tamarind London and has received his Michelin star for this restaurant.
- Atul Kochhar: He is the first Indian chef to have received one of the prestigious accolades for his venture Tamarind London in 2007.
- Karunesh Khanna: Serving contemporary Indian dishes, he was awarded the Michelin Star in 2006 for Amaya London.
- Sriram Aylur: Sriram Aylur is a famous Michelin Star Chef in India. He is the executive chef at Taj’s Quilon restaurant. He serves South Indian dishes. Sriram Aylur was awarded the Michelin Star in 2008 for Taj’s Quilon in London.
- Vikas Khanna: He is residing in New York. Continue three years; the chief was awarded for the restaurant Junoon.
- Manjunath Mural: He was awarded for The Song of India restaurant in Singapore. His speciality is in traditional Indian food.
What Is A Michelin Star For A Restaurant?
Michelin stars are a rating system used by the Michelin Guide to grade different restaurants. The restaurants are graded for their food, decor, ambience, and service.
As per the guide, one star means “a perfect restaurant” while two stars mean “excellent cooking that is worth a detour,” and three stars indicate “exceptional cuisine that is worth a special journey.”
Who Is The No. 1 Chef In India?
Sanjeev Kapoor was awarded the honour of ‘Best Chef of India’ by the Government of India. However, talking about Michelin guide and star, Atul Kochhar is the first person to win a Michelin star chef for Tamarind Restaurant London.
How Many Michelin Stars Does Sanjeev Kapoor Have?
Unlike the common belief, chefs do not win Michelin stars, but their restaurants do. So the much-repeated name of India, Sanjeev Kapoor, is not a Michelin star chef but has yet to earn a Michelin star very soon.
However, Vikas Khanna, the following famous name in Indian households, has earned a Michelin star for his restaurant Junoon in NYC for six consecutive years by Michelin Guide.
Does India Have Any Michelin Star Restaurants?
As of now, India is yet to have a Michelin guide or a Michelin-star restaurant. But all the above restaurants will give you an experience similar to the Michelin-starred places. However, the expectations from Indian foods are changing; many Indian chefs and their restaurants earned Michelin stars worldwide.
Find Michelin Star Restaurants Near You
So the next time if want to dine out in any Michelin Star Restaurants in India, look back at this guide. You can enjoy Indian delicacies anywhere in the world without compromising the food taste. Enjoy your day and meal with food prepared by the best chefs, and treat your eyes with serene décors, ambience, and surroundings.