Bolpur is called “Lal Matir Desh,” but now you can find red soil only on Amar Kutir premises. It is one of the prime attractions in Santiniketan with historical value.
The centre offers workshops on handmade items, saree, clothes etc. This historical place takes part in India’s independence.
Amar Kutir Santiniketan Bolpur
Amar Kutir in Bolpur Santiniketan
From Bolpur station, the distance is around 7 km. Toto’s are available for visiting all the tourist places in Shantiniketan Bolpur. You can find a performance stage where artists are singing Baul Gaan. Also, it has a garment and handmade product shop where you can buy stuff.
Amar Kutir Santiniketan History
Amar Kutir society was established in 1923 by the great freedom fighter, Late Susen Mukherjee, with the inspiration of Rabindranath Tagore. However, in 1932, the British government closed it for Swadeshi Movement.
After Independence, Rabindranath Tagore re-opened it to help rural development. Since then, this society has provided training and support for making handmade products for agrarian peoples. In addition, this organization encourages and motivates women for self-independence.
Amar Kutir Showroom
On the main premises, you can find different workshops. You can visit and observe the procedure of how they make handmade products. There is an exhibition hall and museum as well. It’s now becoming a shopping centre where you can buy many products made by the local people. You will find:-
- Dokra sculpture, ornaments.
- Jeans bag, pouch, money pars, cloth bag, etc.
- Leather bag, hair clip, leather money bank, ornament box, etc.
- Wooden products like the table mate, showpiece, hair clip, wall pocket, specular, etc.
- The huge variety of Saree, Punjabi, Kurti, Salwar kameez pieces, Panjabi, Bag, Bedsheet, Dupatta, etc.
- The items of Kantha Stich. There is a large amount of Kantha Stich products you can find.
I am a shopping lover, so I purchased different kinds of unique items there for myself and my family.
Food in Amar Kutir Hensel Ghar, Ballavpur, West Bengal
The Hensel Ghar nostalgically served good quality food. All the kitchenware is made of Bell metal (কাঁসা). The price is a little high compared to other hotels in Bolpur.
Go to Famous places in Kolkata
Amar Kutir showroom VS Sonajhurir haat
You can buy stuff from here if you cannot visit Sonajhurir haat on Saturday. The price is almost the same in both places. In Sonajhuri haat, you can bargain a little, but in Amar Kutir, you buy a product including GST, but the product quality is better than in Sonajhurir haat. It’s my personal opinion.
Amar Kutir and Sightseeing in Santiniketan
- Amar Kutir ECO tourism park Ballavpur, west Bengal -to- Bolpur Amar Kutir park is just 2 to 3 minutes walking distance. It is made by society for rural development.
- Kopai River Shantiniketan – is a walkable distance from the Amar Kutir resort. You can watch a small part of the river from here.
- Prakriti Bhavan Nature Art museum – is just 2.7 km; you can reach it within 5 minutes by a Toto.
- Sonibar er hat / Khoai boner hat – to Amar Kutir distance only 3.4 km, you can reach there within 6 minutes by Toto.
- Srijani Shilpagram – is just around 4 km away from Amar Kutir society. You can reach there within 9 minutes by a Toto.
How to reach Amar Kutir
Amar Kutir Society for Rural Development (AKSRD) is very popular in Bolpur Santiniketan. Roadways, railways and public transport connect it to all places in West Bengal. From the Bolpur – Santiniketan Railway Station, take Bolpur -Suri Road via Sriniketan to reach this place by Auto/Toto/Taxi ( 7 km ).
It is 180 k.m. from Kolkata by railway, 55 km. From Burdwan by railways and 54 k.m from Durgapur by railway. For those who travel by road from Kolkata, it is 163.5 km; from Burdwan, it takes 62 k.m; and from Durgapur, it is 54 k.m. And from Sriniketan, it is just 2 km.
Places to visit near Shantiniketan B0lpur
- Gitanjali Rail Museum
- Kankalitala Temple travel guide
- Biswa Bangla hat
- Prakriti Bhavan Nature Art museum
- Amar Kutir
- Amar Kutir ECO-Tourism Park
- Srijani Shilpagram Shantiniketan Bolpur
- Ballavpur wildlife sanctuary Bolpur Shantiniketan
- Kopai river
- Visva Bharati Santiniketan
- Visva Bharati Kala Bhavan
- Rabindra Bhaban Museum
- Sonibarer hat / Khoai boner haat
- Kalikapur Rajbari
- Ghurisha Terracota temple
- Wood fossil park Birbhum
- Raipur Rajbari Birbhum
- Surul Raj Bari
- Sriniketan Bolpur
- Santiniketan Poush Mela
What is Shantiniketan famous for?
Shantiniketan is famous for the Visva-Bharati University, built by Nobel Laureate Rabindranath Tagore. In addition, it is renowned for its Rabindra Museum / Culture / Handicrafts/ Saturday hut, etc.
How far is Shantiniketan from Kolkata?
Shantiniketan is 163 km away from Kolkata. You can reach Shantiniketan by train/bus/cab (ola, Uber). By train 1. Ganadevta Express, from Howrah to Bolpur Daily Departure at 6:05 am, arrived at 8:43 am. 2. Maa Tara Express daily departure from Sealdah at 7:20 am to arrive at Bolpur Shantiniketan at 10:30 am. Bus from Esplanade to Bolpur daily departure at 6:45 am and arrival at 10:45 am.