Last few years, tourists and their demands have frequently been changing. Also, the tourism industry is changing based on needs. This article elaborates on different types of tourism, tourist, planning, activities, products, travel etc. It helps your travel planning as well.
“Life is all about adventure, so pack your bags and start the tour.”
Table of Contents
Different Types of Tourism
- Classification of Tourism
- Importance of Tourism – Why tourism is important?
- Mainly how many types of tourism are there
- What are the Different Types of Tourism?
- 1. Domestic Tourism
- 2. International Tourism
- 3. Outbound Tourism
- 4. Business Tourism
- 5. Adventure Tourism
- 6. Wildlife Tourism
- 7. Medical Tourism
- 8. Wellness Tourism
- 9. Pilgrimage and Spiritual Tourism
- 10. Cultural Tourism
- 11. Dark Tourism
- 12. Culinary Tourism
- 13. Celebrity Tourism or Film Tourism
- 14. Educational Tourism
- 15. Cruise Tourism
- 16. Rural Tourism
- 17. Space Tourism
- There are different types of space tourism
- Space Tourism cost
- Space Tourism companies
- Space Tourism advantages
- Top 13 list of space tourists
- Space Tourism in India
- Forms of Tourism
- What is the main purpose of tourism?
- Niche Tourism
- Types of Niche tourism:-
- What is Micro-Niche?
- Niche tourism in South Africa
- Types of Tourists
- Types of a Tourist Attraction
- How do these tourism plans help us?
- Types of Tourism activities
- Types of tourism packages
- 1. Adventure Tourism package
- 2. Wildlife Tourism Package
- 3. Medical tourism package
- 4. Pilgrimage tourism package
- 5. Eco-tourism Package
- 6. Cultural Tourism Package
- What are the tourism products?
- Types of Tourism Product
- Human created tourism products
- Tourism Destination
- How many Types of Tourism are there in India?
- Types of Tourism available in Kerala India
- Types of tourist attractions
- What are the different types of tourist destinations?
- Is there anything about tourism that I’ve missed?
What is Tourism?
Tourism is a process of spending time away from daily routine or home in pursuit of recreation, relaxation, and pleasure while using the commercial provision of services.
Different Types of Tourism
Along with recreation purposes, tourism became one of the growing industries in India. It’s the source of income for many people. This article is a glimpse of travel and tourism in India as well as the International tour.
So, What’s come first to mind when we hear the word Tourism?
The most common thought is, pack the rucksack and travel away from the day to day life. That means the movement of people from their usual residence to another place.
Suppose your friend’s aim of the tour might differ from yours. For example, you may travel for recreation, but he may go for business purposes.
Classification of Tourism
According to the United Nations World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), tourism involves the movement of people in the natural environment of the country or outside the country for personal or other purposes. These different purposes classified the tourism industry in many ways.
In this article, you find 16 main tourism classifications like Domestic tourism, International tourism, Business tourism, Adventure tourism, Medical tourism, Educational tourism, etc.
Importance of Tourism – Why tourism is important?
Tourism had a direct impact on any country’s economy. The role of tourism in economic development is important. A vast amount of job possibilities can develop by public relations in tourism. From a traveller’s perspective, knowing another state/country’s taste culture is a great filling.
Mainly how many types of tourism are there
Mainly three types of tourism find in any country. The classes are domestic tourism, International tourism, and outbound tourism. But nowadays, many types of tourism newly evolved.
What are the Different Types of Tourism?
The various types of tourism are developed nowadays and become popular, they are:-
- Domestic tourism
- International tourism
- Outbound Tourism
- Business tourism
- Adventure tourism
- Wildlife tourism
- Medical tourism
- Wellness Tourism
- Pilgrimage and spiritual tourism
- Cultural tourism
- Dark tourism
- Culinary Tourism
- Celebrity tourism or Film Tourism
- Educational tourism
- Cruise tourism
- Rural tourism
- Space Tourism
Let’s discuss how many flavours and categories of tourism can be found in any country and accepted globally.
1. Domestic Tourism
If your tour remains inside of your country itself, it’s called domestic tourism.
2. International Tourism
Travel outside your country needs a visa and passport; it’s called International tourism. For example, if you want to explore dog-friendly beaches in Michigan from India, you need documents to enter another country.
3. Outbound Tourism
This tourism defines a tourist travelling for a holiday to a different country. Like our residents in India, and we are travelling to Barcelona. It is an example of outbound Tourism.
4. Business Tourism
This kind of tourist, travelling to attend meetings, officially get together for conferences, etc.
Business tourism plays a vital role in the tourism sector. Sometimes, people stay out of their typical environment for more than a year for business purposes and spend their vacations there.
General activities related to business tourism include attending meetings, officially getting together, conferences, seminars, visiting exhibitions and trade fairs, etc. This tourism level up the purchasing power.
5. Adventure Tourism
Adventure tourism popularity is increasing day by day. Like, Whitewater rafting, famous in India. Ladakh tour, Kedarnath tour, Andaman and Nicobar tour could also be tried for the adventure. Out site from India like Bali tour in rainy season also an example.
6. Wildlife Tourism
Because of the presence of an exotic species of wildlife, India became famous for this tourism. The Sariska Wildlife or Hyde park Sanctuary, Keoladeo Gana National Park, Corbett National Park is famous for wildlife tourism. The Great Barrier Reef is also renowned in Australia.
7. Medical Tourism
Many people have to travel for treatment. Several medical institutes cure foreign patients. Thailand has recorded 6000,000 new patients every year. Malaysia also treated over 100,00 tourists in 2005. 45% of foreign tourists come to Chennai for medical treatment.
8. Wellness Tourism
Wellness tourism is a significant part of tourism from ancient times. This tourism mainly attracts those tourists who want to regain their health. Wellness tourism will help you to get rid of mental and health stress.
Tourists recover their health issues by doing physical, spiritual, or psychological activities. All around the world, there are plenty of destinations, which are popular to improve health.
Mexico Temazcal Beach Resort Spa, Caribbean wellness cruise, California weight loss and detox retreats, Colorado Hiking and Mountain Yoga retreat, China hot spring Resorts TCM are the examples.
In India, Ayurveda, Yoga, Meditation, Panchakarma, Rejuvenation Therapy are the oldest Therapy of treatments to improve health and the best way to develop wellness tourism.
9. Pilgrimage and Spiritual Tourism
This tour is famous for ages. A pilgrimage tour is popular among older people. Vaishno Devi, Golden temple, Char Dham, Mathura Vrindavan are some places famous for Pilgrimage tours.
10. Cultural Tourism
This tourism mainly focuses on the historical sites and on the artistic features of that country. Don’t you like to visit a palace or to any monuments? All these come under this category. Don’t miss the following places if you love culture:-
- India – The main attraction- Temples at Banaras, Jaipur, known as the pink city Palace in Rajasthan. Forts and monuments in Delhi, Agra, UP.
- UK – Tower of London, The British Museum, Big ben etc.
- Kenya – The main attraction- The dance of the Maasai tribe.
- Morocco – The main attraction- Olive festival, Honey festival.
- Jordan – The main attraction- Jerah, which is famous for Roman architecture and Shounak with its Montreal Crusader Castle.
- Greece – The main attraction- Lion Gate of Mycenae.
- Turkey – the main attraction- Sultan Ahmed. Mosque, House of the Virgin Mary.
- Vietnam – The main attraction- Sapa Market.
- Ireland tour – Cliffs of Moher, Dublin, Killarney National Park etc.
11. Dark Tourism
It is referred to as mourning tourism. Dark tourism involves visiting those places and sites that have witnessed the greatest tragedies in history. Besides this history of human suffering and bloodshed, these locations are famous for their historical value.
So, those sites that carry potent pesticides have become popular tourist destinations and attract many tourists every year.
Like: Famous sites In Japan, Hiroshima & Nagasaki bombing location, Ground Zero, New York, USA. The War Remnants Museum, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; Auschwitz concentration camp, Auschwitz, Germany; Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum, Phnom Penh, Cambodia, etc.
12. Culinary Tourism
Culinary or food tourism involves tasting and experiencing local and traditional food in a specific country, region, or city/town/village. It is significant that besides accommodation and infrastructure. Here food is one of the prime components. Therefore, lots of tours are organized here to experience the culinary culture.
Today, with the overall growth of this sector, this tourism has expanded and developed to the next level in this era.
Every year, India organizes food festivals at different times in different states. And thousands of people from abroad join this festival to enjoy India’s traditional food. Everyone knows India is called “The land of spices.” And every state has unique kinds of food culture. So today, it is a significant part of tourism in India.
Culinary Tourism includes where people visit certain regions like California, Napa Valley, Catalonia, USA, and Spain) to enjoy foreign wines.
Famous Destinations: London, France, Beijing, Mexico, India, Italy, etc.
13. Celebrity Tourism or Film Tourism
In this tourism prime attraction is celebrities. Sometimes celebrities come there as tourists and join the event. So you can visit that place where the event happened earlier. Although no celebrities are present, only you can see the entire studio. Many Destination Management organizations (DMOs) use celebrity tourism to promote destinations as an attraction.
Popular celebrity tourism destinations are – Hollywood, Harry Potter Studios, Ramoji Film City India, Cannes Film Festival, Hong Kong, and Madame Tussauds.
14. Educational Tourism
Educational tourism is involved in education—an educational tourist away from their hometown for many days. Education and learning are the key reason for their travels, and it is learning knowledge from the historical place, cultural and social events, and understanding a language.
It’s used as a tool to complement education by gathering travel experience. Many educational institutes combine these trends in primary schools and are compulsory in higher education.
15. Cruise Tourism
Cruise tourism is one of the newest and fastest-growing parts of the world tourism industry.
The world’s famous coastline and inland waterway have the potential to develop cruise and houseboat tourism. Like Quark Expeditions, OZ Cruising, A-ROSA River Cruises.
India has many types of tourist cruises. Soon India is going to be including Ocean Cruise, River Cruise, and Lake Cruise.
16. Rural Tourism
In this category, a tourist spends their leisure time in rural areas or villages. Visitors can make a plan to visit the rural area for some days or a couple of months. Especially Solo travellers can visit those places to enjoy their lonely time. They join all the local activities that happen in this village.
Now rural tourism is included in a ‘country holiday’ where the tourist spends a large part of his / her leisure time. Thus, they taste the recreational activities in the rural environment.
India’s rural destinations are very famous. India’s rich culture and heritage make India unique. So realizing the real essence of India, visit rural parts or villages of India.
Like: Farming in Rural Punjab, The Spiti Valley Rural Tourism, Sundarban and Jodhpur Village Life, Bhubandanga West Bengal, Community Tourism in Kutch.
There are many forms of tourism and It’s divided into many parts.
17. Space Tourism
We have seen significant changes in the aviation industry in the last 100 years. What was once used for warfare and cargo transport is now being used for travelling purposes. Human development has now broken all bounds to take this journey to the vast emptiness of space.
Russia has been the pioneer in this field. Soyuz spacecraft conducted its first space trip with American businessman Dennis Tito in April of 2001. It was a government spacecraft that conducted seven space expeditions within the span of the next six years. This surge in public interest led other organizations around the world to dive into this area as well.
There are different types of space tourism
Orbital Space Tourism: these flights remain within an orbit around the earth at a speed higher than the suborbital space flights. These flights orbit the world at a constant velocity for their entire stay in outer space.
Sub-orbital Space Tourism: this was the beginning of space tourism. The spacecraft launches with a substantial initial velocity that pushes it out of the earth’s atmosphere. But this doesn’t throw it entirely out of the gravitational sphere. The power is not enough for orbiting, so it freefalls down once the engines are shut off.
SpaceX C.E.O. Elon Musk proposed a prospect of lunar tourism. In 2018 he announced the ‘Dear moon project’, the highly anticipated first lunar space tourism mission. This project is all set to be carried out in 2022 with Japanese billionaire Yusaku Maezawa.
Space Tourism cost
The cost of each sub-orbital trip on the Soyuz spacecraft is reported to be 200,000-250,000 million U.S. dollars. Other trips carried out by different organizations were priced around the same margin. Virgin Galactic recently announced that each of their tickets would cost 450,000 U.S.D. for the upcoming missions.
Space Tourism companies
Even though the industry is up and coming still, massive companies are dominating the market. Space Adventures of Virginia, U.S.A, was the first successful space tourism company. Elon Musk’s SpaceX, Richard Branson’s Virgin Galactic and Amazon C.E.O. Jeff Bezos’s Blue Origin are all set to fully launch their space tourism business by 2022. Blue Origin recently conducted their debut flight with Jeff Bezos. Oliver Daemen and Wally Funk were the world’s youngest and oldest men in space, respectively.
Space Tourism advantages
The universe and outer space have always been intriguing subjects for people on earth. Yet, there were limited resources to satisfy their curiosity. The option of space tourism thus connects people with space in their unique way and solves its mystery. A more ecological advantage is the waste policy. There is minimum pollution associated with these travels. Also, this allows a whole new sector of job opportunities for highly educated professionals and ambitious youth.
Top 13 list of space tourists
- Dennis Tito (American): April 28 – May 6, 2001
- Richard Branson
- Gennady Padalka
- Guy Laliberté
- Eytan Stibbe
- Sian Proctor
- Mark Shuttleworth (South African / British): April 25 – May 5, 2002
- Gregory Olsen (American): October 1 – October 11, 2005
- Anousheh Ansari (Iranian / American): September 18 – September 29, 2006
- Charles Simonyi (Hungarian): April 7 – April 21, 2007
- Richard Garriott (American): October 12 – October 23, 2008
- Sheikh Muszaphar Shukor (Malaysian): October 10 – October 23, 2007
Space Tourism in India
Space activities, in general, have been quite a staggering section in India. Last year, the government announced a policy that opens up space exploration to private sectors, but hardly any company has taken action on it. Entrepreneur Santhosh George Kulangara will be the first Indian space tourist as he booked his spot in a Virgin Galactic space flight back in 2007. He will join Dennis Tito, Mark Shuttleworth, Gregory Olsen and many more hopefully within this year.
Forms of Tourism
- Atomic Tourism
- Beach Tourism
- Bicycle Tours
- Industrial Tourism
- Rural Tourism
- Space Tourism
- Sports Tourism
- Sustainable Tourism
- Virtual Tourism
- War Tourism
What is the main purpose of tourism?
- Economic Sustainability: It ensures the effectiveness and competitiveness of tourism destinations and enterprises. It helps continue improvement, which is beneficial in the long run.
- Local enrichment: Tourist destination prosperity is an enormous part of tourism. The tourism business continuously maximized the economic growth of the host destination.
- Employment Standards: Tourism supported the level of wages, terms of service, and availability for all. It creates local jobs with no discrimination based on gender, race, disability, or other means.
- Local management: Involve local communities, empower local people for planning and decision making. The community, tourism management team helped to develop this.
- Community Welfare: Maintain and boost the local community’s lifestyle. They are part of social structures. But surely, this process should take place with no social humiliation or exploitation.
- Natural Integration: Maintain and improve the quality of both urban and rural landscapes. It avoids natural and visual degradation of the environment.
- Natural Integration: Maintain and improve the quality of both urban and rural landscapes. It avoids natural and visual degradation of the environment.
- Biodiversity: Another purpose of tourism is to assist in conserving wildlife, natural wildlife areas and reducing losses.
- Environmental cleanness: Besides the purpose of tourism, all tourists must reduce air, water, land pollution, and waste generation.
- Tourism is a significant part of national integration.
- Tourism always motivates tourists to understand their traditions, heritage, culture, and religious aspect.
- Tourism’s most significant part is economic growth or the business part of the destination. It encourages local people to create many handicraft items, prepares local food items, different kinds of souvenirs, dresses, etc., for sale.
- Tourism is one such thing that constantly gives an economic boost to the country.
This tourism focuses on a specific aspect of travelling. It also focuses on the consumer market segment’s interest. It makes the destination more exciting and marketable. Niche Tourism is one of the fastest-growing sectors.
Niche tourism indicates a specific feature of travel. For example, some tourists want a museum, and someone wishes to visit old architectural monuments, buildings, palaces, etc., some of them want to eat in a famous restaurant. Thus, niche Tourism shows a particular activity that is not the only focus of travel.
Types of Niche tourism:-
What is Macro-Niche?
Macro-niche tourism can be explained as a niche with broad customer interest categories such as rural tourism, Business tourism, sports tourism, medical tourism, environmental travel, etc.
What is Micro-Niche?
It is a small group trip, such as gastronomy tourism, cycling tourism, geo-tourism.
Niche tourism in South Africa
South Africa is an attractive destination because of the wide diversity of animal and bird species. As a result, tourism professionals found this country has considerable potential.
Advantage of Niche Tourism
- Even if niche tourism is smaller than mainstream markets, but it spreads more.
- It has more potential to grow.
- It creates quality jobs that require specialized skills.
Types of Tourists
When we visit a place, we find different kinds of travellers. The aim of each traveller is different. Let us discuss the types of visitors.
- Incentive tourist- These tourists did not plan for the tour earlier. Suppose you have been rewarded with two tickets from the office because of your performance. You and your colleagues came for the trip.
- Business tourist- This type of tourist travel for their business purpose. They will always prefer a hotel with a conference room. They don’t come to enjoy luxury, but they would like the hotel to serve them everything on time.
- Leisure tourist- This type of tourist comes to enjoy the vacation. They love those hotels that serve them something extra, like drinks. They choose hotels that give them comfort and luxury at their best.
- Special interest tourists- They often plan their tours very well. This tourist doesn’t need comfort but loves to do adventure.
- The foodie tourist- This type is quite common. They just wish to taste various foods in various places. The signature dishes of those areas and various kinds of foods.
What are the different types of tourists?
Five types of tourist found mostly:-
1. Incentive tourist
2. Business tourist
3. Leisure tourist
4. Special interest tourists
5. The foodie tourist
Types of a Tourist Attraction
We have to keep in mind that the attraction varies from person to person. For example, suppose Rahul and Sheela are travelling to Kashmir. Rahul is interested in climbing the mountains to see snowfall, whereas Sheela is excited to visit the temples in Kashmir.
Mainly tourist attractions could be classified into the following two categories:-
- Natural attraction– If you are a nature lover, don’t miss The Valley of Flowers in Uttarakhand, Coorg, known as ‘Scotland of India.’
- Events and heritage attractions– Goa is a place for heritage lovers. So pack your bag, take the camera and start your journey towards Goa. I am sure you will have an unforgettable lesson in Goa’s history. Fort Aguada, Chandor, and some of the famous museums are places to be visited.
What is Tourism planning?
Perfect planning is always a matter of the success of any activity. Whenever we plan something and implement it, we get a better result. It’s the same with tourism. But it is neither guaranteed and nor forever. It’s a process where the people’s need is considered and using the best resource, program, and activities are determined.
How do these tourism plans help us?
A tourism plan makes guidelines for the areas. Then, it helps the government and private sectors to develop those areas.
Now, most importantly, we have to remember a few steps involved in tourism planning.
Main types of tourism planning
- Financial planning
- To establish the objective
- Human resource planning
- Monitoring progress
- Human resource planning.
Types of Tourism activities
There are various kinds of tourism activities. Like-
- Boat tour
- Game drive
- Heritage trails
- Swimming with dolphins
Name of some international tourist organization-
1. American Society of Travel Agents
Headquarter- New York
2. International Academy of Tourism
Headquarter- Monge Carlo
3. International Bureau of Social Tourism
4. International Touring Alliance
5. World Tourism Organization
Types of tourism packages
For different categories of tourists, everybody needs a separate package.
Let’s discuss the various types of Packages that are available.
1. Adventure Tourism package
This tourism encourages a person to come out of their comfort zone, to feel the thrill of nature closely in life.
It is found that people are taking adventure more often. It shows potential growth in recent years.
Ladakh, Himachal Pradesh, Kerala and Jammu, and Kashmir are identified as the most exotic and adventurous destinations by the Ministry of Tourism in India.
2. Wildlife Tourism Package
In every country wildlife tourism is famous. But, if you love wildlife, then you have to choose the right package. This package is exclusively for wildlife lovers and who love taking their snaps.
3. Medical tourism package
It has been observed that medical tourism has grown rapidly in Asia-specific countries.
4. Pilgrimage tourism package
Many foreigners come to visit India, Sri Lanka, Singapur to see the various temples. However, the major attraction is the traditional architecture, art form, and the rituals performed.
In India, some famous pilgrimage areas are the Meenakshi temple, Golden temple, Jagannath temple, Santa Cruz Cathedral Basilica, Atala Mosque, etc. Therefore, this type of package is chosen based on your religious beliefs.
5. Eco-tourism Package
This type of tourism has become one of the fascinating travel forms. Although eco-tourism is more of a travel philosophy, it attracts lots of tourists. Some eco-tourism destination areas are Kerala, Galgibaga Beach, Goa, Coorg.
6. Cultural Tourism Package
The social richness of any country draws visitors from every corner of the world to witness sheer celebrations. The cultural tour package that is offered gives you a comprehensive exploration of the different shades. Moreover, this package will bring a tourist a more closetful fact of traditions and architecture.
Along with these, we found tourism packages like-
7. Family Tourism Package
8. Honeymoon Tourism Package
9. Wellness Tourism Package
10. Cruise Tourism Package
What are the tourism products?
According to the market’s needs, the customer supplies anything in the market for use/consumption, which is called a product. A product can be offered in the market observation, purchase, use, or any need or demand.
A tourism product is provided to the tourist during their travelling. It mainly focuses on facilities and services designed to meet the needs. This includes physical objects, services, personalities, places, ideas. The above components are provided by one company or any group of companies.
Tourism products are something that can be given to tourists in a tourist destination. Products are needed for leisure, pleasure, religious, or business purposes. These products are provided in the market at a cost. The main reason for choosing a tourist destination is a tourism product. It gives an economic boost to the destination. So it needs to be market and store in a hassle manner.
Services are designed for the visitor to fulfilling their needs. Therefore, it is a combination of products. Thus, the country’s total tourism and tourist satisfaction depend on the sum of its attractions, transportation, accommodation, entertainment, etc.
Every element of a tourism product is provided by individual service providers such as hotels, airlines, travel agencies, etc. Therefore, these products can be analyzed for their attractiveness, accommodation, and accessibility.
Types of Tourism Product
Attractions: It is one of the main elements. Tourists will not be encouraged to visit certain places unless there are no attractions. Attractions are the ingredients. The product determines to choose a particular tourist to visit a specific destination.
Attractions can be archaeological, cultural, historical buildings, monuments, beach resorts, mountains, flora and fauna, national parks, even trade fairs, arts and music festivals, exhibitions, games, etc. Now a day’s tourists are susceptible to changes in fashion.
Accessibility: That means by which a visitor can reach the attraction place. A traveller needs some transportation to reach his destination. Tourists visit the attraction destination by different transport modes. Visitors visit his predetermined location by car, motorcycle, train, ship or boat, an aeroplane even by cycle.
If any destinations did not have good transport systems, the place becomes very cheap. Tourist centres should be located near tourist-producing markets. It is connected to a network of efficient transportation to receive the largest number of tourists.
Accommodation: Another tourism product is accommodation. It is the most essential part of tourism—the tourist destination location must-have hotels, guest houses, camping, homestay. If accommodation is not possible at the central location, then there should be some alternate arrangement. At least some distance away.
Hospitality: is a major factor for a tourist destination’s which will develop in the future. The location’s restaurants, pubs, cafes, food, and beverage serving style increases location attractiveness.
Natural tourism products: Our nature is beautiful and precious to us. Nature has arranged amazing things in different parts of the world. Such as – hills, mountains, caves, glaciers, sea, islands, beaches, waterfalls, rivers, lakes, wildlife, deserts, etc.
The tourism product utilizes those natural gifts as a Natural tourism product. Like- snow-capped mountains in Kashmir, Dudhsagar fall in Goa, palm-fringed beaches of Goa, the wildlife of Kaziranga National Park in Assam, the Thar Desert in Jaisalmer, etc.
Human created tourism products
Artificial tourism products are those that humans create.
Human-made tourism product’s primary purpose is to attract tourists, such as Temples, Forts, palaces, museums, theme parks, etc.
The tradition, culture of the destination plays a vital role in tourism. Humans maintain it to attract tourists. Like- classical dance – music, folk dance, paintings, handicrafts, festivals, fairs, etc.
Example: Machu Picchu World Heritage Site, Egyptian pyramids, Taj Mahal in India, India Gate in Delhi, Red Fort in Agra, Lothal in Gujarat, Mexican pyramids, or Mesoamerican pyramids are important archaeological sites.
The Bhangra dance form of Punjab, Kolkata Book Fair, Durga puja in Kolkata, Brass work of Muradabad, etc., are also included in human-made tourism products.
Tour guides are another main aspect of travelling. It is also a parameter for tourism. For national and international travellers they need a travel guide to discovering a new place. Sometimes national travellers may visit any tourist destination on their own.
But an international traveller always wants a good tourist guide. How you present the location and how much information you provide to understand the place. It totally depends on a guided tour and a travel guide. This parameter upgrades the tourist destination’s level.
According to UNWTO in the “World’s Top Tourism Destination,” the first four places by International tourism are France, Spain, the USA, China.
A tourism destination is the endpoint of the journey. But, of course, we all have some goals in every field, so it’s the same with tourism.
There are various types of tourist destinations. They are as follows:-
- Centred Destination
- Based Destination
- Multi-centre Destination
- Touring Destination
- Transit Destination
How many Types of Tourism are there in India?
There are 15 different kinds of tourism in India. They are:-
- Adventure Tourism
- Wildlife tourism
- Medical Tourism
- Wellness Tourism
- Cultural Tourism / Heritage tourism India
- Religious Tourism / Pilgrimage tourism
- Business Tourism
- Cruise Tourism
- Culinary Tourism
- Dark Tourism
- Film Tourism
- Sports Tourism
- Educational Tourism
- Yoga school and retreat Tourism In India
Types of Tourism available in Kerala India
There are various kinds of tourism. Such as
- Kerala Hill station Tourism
- Kerala Beach Tourism
- Kerala Backwater Tourism
- Kerala Culture Tourism
- Kerala Home Stay Tourism
- Kerala Medical Tourism
- Kerala Health Tourism
- Kerala Farm Tourism
- Kerala Ecotourism
Types of tourist attractions
- Historial attractions
- Cultural attractions
- Political significance
- The natural or scenic beauty
- Leisure travel
- Fun and Amusement
What are the different types of tourist destinations?
Types of tourism and types of tourist destinations may sound synonymous. But the two have slight conceptual differences. Tourism is a broader concept, including the aspects of both the tourism and hospitality sector.
At the same time, tourist destination is a narrower concept applying to places of tourist attraction. Based on the type of place and the causes of interest, the tourist’s destinations are:
- Coastal Destinations – Preferred mostly for the ample sunshine and salty waters lining lands adjoining the sea. Be it domestic or international coastal locations, and they are great for fun and relaxation. They are favoured mostly by people living in inland areas away from the sea.
- Beaches – The meeting point of land with the ocean offers a great tourist attraction. Waves hitting the shores of sandy beaches are great for all kinds of tourists. In addition, new beach activities like parasailing, beach biking, etc., also attract tourists immensely.
2. Island – A land in the middle of the sea or ocean on all its sides is an island. Tourists are taken mainly by boat from the mainland to explore these islands. Islands standing in between a river are called riverine islands.
3. Mangroves – It offers a panoramic view amidst the confluence of a river with the sea/ocean. Example: Sundarbans of India.
- Inland Destinations – Travel away from the coast is an inland destination. A variety of sub-classifications can come in under like:
Based on the type of region:
- Hill stations – Offering a surreal view from an altitude, all mountains and hills are great tourist destinations.
- Jungles – Trekking/hiking/driving through the wild greenery are great tourist attractions. Protected areas like Reserve Forests, National Parks, serve the twin purpose of tourism and conservation.
Based on population structure:
- Rural – For a change, get away from the fast-paced urban life to have a taste of the village life. Touring rural locations are gaining popularity because of lower population density, greener areas, and a serene environment.
- Urban – Posh urban destinations offer a pull factor to tourists to experience the ultra-modern and urban life. Example: New York, Shanghai, etc.
- Offbeat – Previously undiscovered newer locations around famous tourist spots are offbeat destinations. With lower tourist popularity, the exclusiveness of these places is retained.
Based on the type of activity:
- Hiking and Camping – Places, where tourists come mostly for hiking or camping (day/night) are fast gaining popularity. These places are primarily amidst nature and come under adventure tourism.
- Preserved sites – Sites like UNESCO World Heritage sites have become popular tourist destinations. The rich natural/cultural value owes them their status.
Based on historical/religious importance:
- Historical Places & monuments – Tourists flock to places holding remnants of the past. Areas having historic architecture and events give an insight into the past culture. Example: Taj Mahal and Jalianwallah Bagh in India.
- Pilgrimages & Holy Shrines: Here, religious tourism has well flourished, making it a spiritual destination. Example: Hajj of Mecca, Bethlehem for Christians.
- Museums and buildings: Places where artifacts and remnants of historical culture are well preserved. Famous among tourists of all ages.
Based on entertainment:
- Luxury destinations: Locations that only promote high-end tourism are luxury destinations. Example: Bali.
- Carnival: Annually, countries host cultural events to celebrate any occasion for a short period. When tourists travel here to enjoy, it becomes a popular destination during that time. Example: Christmas Carnival in Toronto.
- Amusement Park and Zoo: Famous for the lot is Disney Land, a great tourist destination for the children. Singapore Zoo, which ushers in global tourists.
Is there anything about tourism that I’ve missed?
Over the past 75 years, the travel industry has made great strides in uniting strangers, travellers, locals in a harmonious way. As a result, visits, and travel are now more than adventure, learning new skills, rejuvenating, and achieving perfection.
Tourism has changed from providing services like rooms, flights, and meals that people were satisfied with ten years ago. Now people want to experience whale watching or mountain biking.
In the luxury sector, wealthy people spend more money on an experience than objects. This is called experience economics, and there is an idea that the memories of tourist values are compared to some physical resources. The rate of global tourists is increasing day by day, and every country is trying to make its tourism more developed and successfull.
As you can see, the tourism industry is vast and diverse. There are different kinds of tourism here, some have been around for decades, and others are just emerging.
A tour to Grand Canyon would fall under which type of tourism?
Grand Canyon tour would fall into natural adventure tourism. Here you can enjoy – Floor Landing Helicopter Tour, ATV and Gold Mine Tour, White Water Adventure Tour, Rim Airplane Tour.