14 Best Strawberry Picking Farms Near San Diego 2023
In San Diego, the strawberry picking activity is nostalgic during springtime. Everybody loves these juicy red sweet, and delicious berries as casual snacks and desserts. These Strawberry Farms have introduced different activities to attract more visitors during the springtime. Like freshly cooked desserts with berries, farm-to-table lunches, petting zoos, tractor rides, and farm stands.
The beautiful farms in the valleys of San Diego are the best places to spend family time while plucking your berries. In San Diego, March, April, May, June, and July are strawberry seasons based on weather conditions and availability.
When Is Strawberry Picking Season in San Diego
Springtime is considered the best time to harvest strawberries in San Diego USA. The strawberry season generally starts in March and extends till July, depending on availability and climate conditions. Most farms have their social media pages and websites updated with the information. Interested visitors need to check them before planning a visit there.
List of 14 Best Strawberry Picking San Diego Farms, CA
1. Carlsbad Strawberry Fields – California
This beautiful U-pick strawberry farm is situated in Carlsbad, California, right off the Interstate 5 freeway. It’s a perfect spot for family gatherings, team bonding, and fun activities near San Diego. Visitors can come anytime between 9 am and 6 pm to pick up their strawberries and enjoy their fresh sweet dishes.
The farm has been a leading strawberry producer in San Diego for more than five decades. They provide field trips for schools, churches, and non-profit organizations. The farm is situated close to the beaches. It means you can enjoy U-pick with a great view of the ocean. After U-pick, visitors can visit their Carlsbad Shoppie for quick bites and souvenirs.
- Entry Fee: $5 entry fee for every visitor. $ 12 per bucket of strawberries. Every bucket contains one and half-2 pints of strawberries(approx).
- Hours: Monday to Sunday 9 am-6 pm
- Phone: 760-603-9608
- Nearby Places to Visit: Lego and California, Miniland USA, South Carlsbad State Beach Campground
Address: 1050 Cannon Rd, Carlsbad, CA 92008
Read Best Farms for Strawberry Picking in Connecticut
2. Julian Farm and Orchard – Santa Ysabel, CA
Julian is one of the most popular Strawberry farms near San Diego. Situated near the Wynola neighborhood of Julien, an hour’s drive to the east of San Diego. The place is open on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 10 am to 4 pm.
Visitors can pet the farm animals in the petting zoo inside these 25-acre farmlands. Many activities are organized here, like axe throwing, crafting, rock climbing, etc. There are rides like tractor-pulled hayrides. They offer their farmlands for weddings, anniversary celebrations, rehearsal dinners, fun club activities, and many more. There is a gift shop with exciting different items to choose from. In this farm Parking is free and well-behaved and leashed dogs are allowed.
- Entry Fee: For general admission $5 per head and unlimited activity armband $25 per head (approx). Kids above 2yrs need a full ticket.
- Hours: Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays from 10 am to 4 pm.
- Phone: 760-765-5494
- Nearby Places to Visit: Cleveland National Forest, Ceder Creek Falls, Cuyamaca Peak, Lake Cuyamaca.
Address: 4381 Julian Hwy, Santa Ysabel, CA 92070
Read Farms for Strawberry Picking in Massachusetts
3. Tanaka Farms – Irvine, California
The Tanaka Farms is owned by the 5th generation of Japanese farmers in Costa Mesa. This 30-acre farmland is famous for quality products, community farming, and community care packages.
The best part of U-picking strawberries and other vegetables here is their specialized Wagon tour around the farm. Prebook your wagon tour and reach early to the land. Tour guides describe their history, farming process, and everything while riding you around the farmlands.
The Tanaka farm organizes hundreds of educational tours and field trips for thousands of school and college students every year. The Hikari festival and Christmas tree festival are particularly famous here. People can enjoy fresh farm-to-table food in their hilltop eatery. Also, rent tents and farm spaces for different occasions. The Barnyard allows kids to pet farm animals for free.
- Entry Fee: $20 per head for this U-pick wagon ride. Kids aged above 2 years need a ticket too. One basket of Strawberries is included in the ticket. For more than that, visitors need to pay accordingly. Visitors need a ticket for every activity other than visiting the shop and Produce Market Stand(approx).
- Hours: Monday to Friday Strawberry Picking Tours depart at 9:30 am, 11 am, 1 pm, and 2:30 pm. Saturday & Sunday Strawberry Picking Tours depart at 9:30 am, 10 am, 10:30 am, 11 am, 11:30 am, 12 pm, 12:30 pm, 1 pm, 1:30 pm, 2 pm, and 2:30 pm
- Phone: 949-653-2100
- Nearby Places to Visit: Corona Del Mar State Beach Park.
Address: Tanaka Farms, 5380 3/4 University Dr., Irvine, CA 92612, USA
Read Farms for Strawberry Picking in Minnesota
4. Kenny’s Strawberry Farm – Fallbrook, California
Kenny’s farm is an almost decade-old strawberry farm in Rainbow near the Temecula Valley. It is one of the few strawberry farms near San Diego where different strawberries are harvested.
People can enjoy fresh desserts from Kenny’s Farm Kitchen. Like the frozen Italian custard. However, visitors can also bring their lunch and enjoy it on their picnic benches. The gift shop is filled with souvenirs like greeting cards, coffee mugs, and homemade sweet desserts. All of these are locally sourced.
- Entry Fee: $4.50 per pound of strawberries is the average price. $7 for small buckets and $17 for large buckets.
- Hours: Friday to Sunday by reservation
- Phone: 888-236-0101
- Nearby Places to Visit: Pechanga Resort Casino and Pala Casino Spa Resort
Address: 953Rainbow Valley Blvd, Fallbrook, CA, 92028
Read Michelin Star Restaurants In San Diego
5. Stehly Farms Organics – Valley Center, California
Stehly Farms Organic is one of the oldest farmland near San Diego, California. They have produced different vegetables and fruits like oranges, strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, onions, dragonfruit, avocados, lettuce, kale, and many more. Since 2002, the Stehly brothers Jerome and Noel Stehly have switched to organic and sustainable farming processes.
The farm kitchen offers fresh farm-to-table food like pizzas and tacos. Visitors can enjoy them beside the U-picking. Children love this farmland for petting zoos and farm activities like tractor rides and playgrounds. The Stehly brothers believe in community services and have introduced CSA programs for community organic farming.
- Entry Fee: Everyone, including kids above three years, needs an entry ticket of $15. This ticket includes a 1lb berry basket filled with strawberries, petting the farm animals, entry to the playgrounds, and tractor rides.
- Hours: 9 am – 3 pm, please call before the visit.
- Phone: 760-742-1186
- Nearby Places to Visit: San Diego Zoo safari park
Address: 12630 Santa Catalina Rd, Valley Center, CA 92082, United States
6. Be Wise Ranch – Escondido, CA
Be Wise Ranch is certified organic farmland in Santa Fe Valley, just 8 miles east of San Diego. Bill Brammer, the owner of this farm, is famous for adopting sustainable farming even before the process became famous. The farm offers home delivery of fresh vegetables and fruits nationwide.
The farm produces CCOF-certified organic vegetables and fruits like heirloom tomatoes, strawberries, squash, and many more. The proximity of the coastal regions makes this farm a perfect climate for organic, sustainable farming throughout the year. The Ranch offers community services and a CSA program. People can join the CSA program to participate in organic farming.
- Entry Fee: The entry fees and U-pick price of strawberries and other vegetables depend on their availability. The price is regularly updated on the web page of the farm.
- Hours: Monday to Friday 7 am – 5 pm. Saturday and Sunday closed
- Phone: 760-746-6006
- Nearby Places to Visit: The Balloon safari is perfect for a top view of the coastal regions and the Ranch, and Africa Tram rides
Address: Be Wise Ranch, 20505 San Pasqual Road, Escondido, CA 92025
Read Farms for Strawberry Picking in Milwaukee, WI
7. South Coast Farms U-Pick – San Juan Capistrano, CA
South Coast Farms is an innovative initiative by farmer George. On the farmland at Tree of Life Nursery in San Juan Capistrano, strawberries and flowers are grown without any pesticides or artificial fertilizers. Visitors can visit these magical lands for strawberry U-picks.
Fresh harvests are delivered daily to the farm stands in Dana Point Farm Stand nearby. Farmer George has started the CSA program for this farmland. People from different communities are joining this to help him build a community farming place.
- Entry Fee: U-pick and pre-picked orders are updated on the official webpage and social media pages.
- Hours: Thursday to Sunday 10 am–4 pm. Monday to Wednesday closed
- Phone: 949-661-9381
- Nearby Places to Visit: Mission San Juan Capistrano landmarks, museums, chapels, and gardens
Address: South Coast Farms U-Pick, 33201 Ortega Hwy, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675, United States
Read Strawberry Picking Farms in New Jersey
8. The Ecology Center – San Juan Capistrano, CA
The Ecology Center is a 28-acre regenerative organic certified regenerative community farm in San Juan Capistrano, Southern California. Agriculture training is provided to kids too. It helps make them more responsible towards nature and food habits. The Ecology Center is built on 3 step process, which is Grow-Eat-Make.
Strawberry picking season is a part of Rainbow Tasting season here. Everyone is invited to the community table every weekend to enjoy the harvest of every color. U-pick is organized after Rainbow tasting. visitors are welcome to bring their own basket. Dogs are not allowed in the Ecology Center.
Visitors need to bring their baskets for this. You can pick as much as you can carry. Single use-plastics are not allowed here. The Ecology Center also organizes different festivals around the year.
- Entry Fee: Thursday and Friday $7 per person, Saturday and Sunday $9 per person. The price of this ticket is updated on the official webpage.
- Hours: Thursday to Sunday from 9:30 am – 1 pm
- Phone: 949-443- 4223
- Nearby Places to Visit: Los Rios Street History District.
Address: 32701 Alipaz Street, San Juan Capistrano, CA 92675
Read Do Strawberries Ripen After Picking
9. Wholesome Heritage Farm – Escondido, California
The Wholesome Heritage Farm has been a family farm for generations serving the people of San Diego County. The place is well-known for its organic farming process and for delivering fresh harvests daily to the nearby farmer’s stand. They harvest corn, tomatoes, squash, and apples, besides Strawberries.
The place offers activities like farm animal petting, tortoise race, and picnic zones other than U-Pick. The farm owners also encourage school tours and educational trips to farmlands.
- Phone: 760- 747-3434
- Nearby Places to Visit: Escondido downtown, The balloon safari
Address: 21345 San Pasqual Rd, Escondido, CA 92025, United States
Read Strawberry Picking Farms Near Carlsbad
10. Pixca Farm – Hollister St, San Diego, California
A day spent in Pixca Farm is considered refreshing and overwhelming. The fresh fruits, veggies, and beautiful flowers make a perfect picturesque valley in South Bay. People can join their CSA programs to join the agriculture process to learn about it and grow their veggies and flowers.
- Hours: Saturday 10 am to 2 pm
- Phone: 619-940-7513
- Nearby Places to Visit: Seaport Village and Seaworld
Address: Community Garden, 2100 Hollister St, San Diego, CA 92154, United States
Read What To Wear To Pick Strawberries?
11. Expo Fresh LLC – Airway Rd, San Diego, California
This farm is one of the biggest fresh strawberry producers near San Diego. Mr. Salvador García Gutierrez manages the 60-year-old farm. Tomatoes, Strawberries, and grapes are the primary products here.
Mr. Salvador believes farming is a continuous process that needs improvements in irrigation systems, seed selection, and organic farming. Prepicked orders and fresh harvests are supplied to every part of the country.
- Entry Fee: Visitors need to contact the farmland over the phone to get an update.
- Phone: 619-661-6550
- Nearby Places to Visit: Balboa Theater and St Joseph Cathedral
Address: 8775 Airway Rd, San Diego, CA 92154, United States
Read Bay Area Strawberry Picking Farms in California
12. Good Farms – Marconi Dr, San Diego, California
As the name suggests, this farm operates in good faith and with social responsibilities. People from local communities join their CSA program to participate in organic farming. The market stand of the farm offers fresh harvests daily.
- Entry Fee: The price is updated on the social media page and the official website
- Phone: 619-661-6004
- Nearby Places to Visit: Amistad Park, Otay Lakes County Park, and the San Diego Museum of Art.
Address: Andrew & Williamson Fresh Produce, 9940 Marconi Dr, San Diego, CA 92154, United States
Read Strawberry Picking Farms in Maine
13. Chino Farm – Rancho Santa Fe, California
The Chino family has been farming near San Diego for almost a century. The place is famous for juicy tomatoes, strawberries, and sweet corn. Tom Chino and his brothers and sisters are the farm’s current owners.
- Hours: Wednesday to Saturday 10 am-3:30 pm. Sunday 10 am-1 pm
- Phone: 858-756-3184
- Nearby Places to Visit: San Diego Botanical Gardens and Zoo Safari Park
Address: Chino Farm, 6123 Calzada Del Bosque, Rancho Santa Fe, CA 92091, United States
Read Long Island Strawberry Picking Farms
14. Mellano Farm Stand – Oceanside, California
Mellano Farm Stand is one of the most happening farms and farmer shops near San Diego. It’s a family-run business growing fresh veggies and fruits and beautiful flowers. Visitors can shop for fresh harvests or can go for seasonal U-picks.
The farm is known for constantly producing organic crops, starting from fresh and juicy strawberries, Brussels sprouts, avocados, kale, and sunflowers. Weekends are the best time to visit this farmland.
Seasonal weekend festivals include music, craft shops, outside vendors with different products, tractor rides, petting zones, and many fun activities. The farm owners have their educational programs. They sponsor stipends for students and offer agricultural training for people of all age groups.
- Hours: Thursday-Sunday from 10:30 to 5 pm. Monday-Wednesday by appointment
- Phone: 760-517-8383
- Nearby Places to Visit: California Welcome Center(Oceanside), the Flower Field, and Oceanside Municipal Fishing Pier.
Address: 5714 North River Road, Oceanside, CA 92057
Read Strawberry Picking Farms in New York
Vista Strawberry Festival in May
Vista Strawberry Festival is considered the best celebration of berries during Springtime in California. Vendors and farmers come together to celebrate this day with fresh food, fun games and rides, entertainment, music, and different activities in Downtown Vista. California was once called the Strawberry Capital of the World. This festival in San Diego County is considered an homage to that title. The festival Date and Timing are the last Sunday of May, the event starts at 8 am and ends at 6 pm.
Address: Chamber of Commerce, 170 Eucalyptus Avenue, Ste. 115, Vista, CA 92084
Helpful Tips for Strawberry Picking
- The strawberry season can be scorching, so dress accordingly. Wear comfortable clothes and a hat.
- Wear shoes to stay comfortable in heat and mud.
- Bring sufficient water with you.
- Most of the farms provide their baskets for U-picks. You can also bring your own. But weigh them before entering the ranches.
- Kids must accompany their parents and follow the rules for plucking.
- Most farms prohibit eating berries directly on the Ranch. There are picnic zones for enjoying them.
- Before you enjoy your pick, make sure you have washed them thoroughly.
- Carry enough cash or cheques to buy berries.
Find Strawberry Picking Farms Near You
Farms for Strawberry Picking in San Diego are pretty famous among citizens. Strawberry is widely celebrated throughout California. Some of the above farms are famous nationwide for their strawberries. The Strawberry Festival of Vista, San Diego County, is a popular tourist attraction yearly. The farmers here have shown farming strawberries can change life and perspective toward nature. It’s the best reason to celebrate these sweet red berries.