International Kolkata Book Fair 2022 began on Monday, 28 February, and ends on Sunday, 13 March in Central ParkMela ground, Bidhannagar, at Salt Lake. This year the theme country is Bangladesh and is dedicated to Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujibur Rahman.
So, You want to go to the Kolkata Book Fair, right? Do you know where the location of the event? The book fair is not just a book fair; it’s a complete festival enriched with food, Baul song, shopping and gossiping, and other activities.
Table of Contents
- Kolkata International Book covid guidelines and E pass
- Kolkata International Book Fair 2022
- How to reach book fair Kolkata
- History of Kolkata book fair
- Last year book fair attentions
Kolkata International Book covid guidelines and E pass
You don’t need a covid certificate for this year (2022) in the Bookfair entrance. But every stall has a sanitizer facility. The maximum you can stay two hours in the book fair mela ground by an epass.
Kolkata International Book Fair 2022
As per Booksellers Guild authority, it’s announced that the International Kolkata book fair held on Central Park, salt lake – Karunamoyee. West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee will inaugurate this fair.
In this festive time, another attraction is the Kolkata Literature Festival, which is the glory of the book fair. We will celebrate this occasion on the same book fair premises. Literature Festival will be a combination of writer, director, historian, author, theatre personality, etc.
A statistic said that last year of the book fair, 2.2 million visitors came, and they sold books worth 22 corers in the book fair.
The International Kolkata book fair’s official name is Antarjatik Kolkata Boimela / Antarjatik Kolkata Pustakmela. It’s a unique book fair mainly for the general public rather than wholesale book distributors.
It is the world’s largest non-commercial book fair and Asia’s biggest book fair, and the world’s most public attended book fair.
Kolkata book fair is the world’s third-largest annual collection of books, after the Frankfurt book fair and the London book fair. Today’ Boimela’ (bookfair) in Kolkata is an integral part of their lifestyle.
The Kolkata book fair is not only a book fair but also an opportunity for the writer, painters, singers, musicians, and a chance to introduce West Bengal’s food by the food companies.
Last year the United Kingdom, America, Russia, China, Japan, Vietnam, other 11 Latin American countries, and Bangladesh participated. This year it’s the first time Iran and Pakistan have tried to join the book fair. Our other states like Delhi, Tamil Nadu, Haryana, Gujarat, Punjab, Karnataka’s publishers also participate in the Kolkata book fair.
- Pareshnath temple Kolkata | Jain mandir timings address location
- Kolkata Dakshineswar Kali mandir and Belur math Adyapith with Skywalk
- Popular places in Kolkata city
- New year & Christmas Carnival celebration in Kolkata [Park street]
- Rabindranath Tagore house in Kolkata | Jorasanko Thakurbari Museum
Kolkata Boi Mela date and timing
The starting date is 28th February 2022. The Kolkata book fair’s last date is 13 March 2022, and the Calcutta book fair timing is 12 PM – 8 PM.
2022 Book fair address and location
2022 Kolkata Boimela venue is the Central Park Mela ground at Salt Lake – Sector-III in Karunamayee, Kolkata, West Bengal.
International Kolkata book fair stalls
International Kolkata book fair stalls are about 580 Book publishers, and 200 little magazines will participate this year. But this year, the authority reduced the stall number to 800, and they also reduced the little magazine stall to 200, said Publishers & Booksellers Guild.
This year I bought some Real Estate, Home Improvement Services, software, and marketing-related books.
- Bolpur Santiniketan tour plan guide from Kolkata
- How to reach Gangasagar from Kolkata | Mela tour guide
- Visit 5 places near marble palace in Kolkata (North)
How to reach book fair Kolkata
There are several ways to reach the Mela ground. You can come to Ultadanga and hire an auto, or if you come from Em bypass, reach Beleghata, Chingrighata, Kadapara, etc., and reach by auto. There are many buses available for this event. From Sealdah railway station, you can quickly get auto for Kadapara, Beleghata, etc.
Kolkata Boi Mela special buses
Special buses available from:
- Howrah Railway station
- Esplanade (Dharmatala)
- Dum Dum Railway station
- Sealdah Railway station
- Santragachi Railway station
- Joka and Belala
- Jadavpur 8 B bus stand
- Chingrighata More
- Dunlop More
History of Kolkata book fair
- The first time, in 1976, on 5th March, the Calcutta book fair was inaugurated. The Boimela was inaugurated by the state education minister, Mrityunjay Bandyopadhyay. The Bookfair is located beside the Victoria Memorial, opposite the Academy of Fine Arts. This book fair is made with 56 stalls and 34 Book publishers in Kolkata. The entry was 50 paisa. This year’s Guild organized another book fair and participated in the World Book Fair and the Frankfurt Book Fair.
- In 1983, the Secretary-General of International Publishers Association (IPA), Geneva, Mr. Koutcowmow, was present at the inaugural ceremony.
- In 1988, the book fair required more space for the growing number of publishers each year. The ground opposite of Rabindra Sadan and Birla Planetarium became impossible to organize the book fair. Then the book fair authorities moved to a new place near Esplanade and Outram ghat Road and became the new venue for this international event.
- In 1991, Kolkata international book fair started having a focal theme as the Frankfurt Bookfair every year. Firstly they decided on the theme based on the Indian state, and the first focal theme was Assam, followed by Orissa, Tripura, Bihar, and West Bengal.
- In the year 1997, the book Fair gets international value. This year for the first time, the focal theme was a foreign country, France.
- This year a disaster happened, the fair was destroyed by an explosion of fire on the sixth day of the fair, and everyone suffered huge losses. Then the reconstruction of this fair was done within three days by the State Culture and Home Minister of West Bengal, Buddhadeb Bhattacharjee.
- In the year 1999, Bangladesh was a focal theme. A remarkable incident was, after 27 years, Bangladesh’s Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina came to this city of literature.
- In 2006, the book fair happened last time in the Maidan.
- In 2007, the book fair authorities faced a critical situation. The Kolkata high court issued an order to stop the book fair in the Maidan. It was just before the day of the fair inauguration. The book fair schedule was changed and shifted to Salt Lake stadium. This year only 8 lakh people came to the fair whereas in 2006 the number was 25 lakh.
- In 2008, a book fair was already organized in park circus Maidan. But again, just before the inauguration day, the Calcutta High Court issued an order to stop the book fair in this place. Because of some environmental issue. So the book fair was postponed. After clearing all the legal problems, the fair was organized in Salt Lake Stadium in March.
- In 2010 the book fair committee decided that if a person has bought books worth 200 rupees, they will refund the entry fee, and it’s naturally boosted sales.
- In 2011, the Guild offered free space to the Little magazine stallholders. As well as the government taking the initiative, they told Guild to share earning profit from the book fair to make Guild Milan Mela Ground. Also, it can be used by the state government to organize their fairs.
- From 2011 to 2018, the book fair shifted to salt lake central park because of the ‘Milam Mela’ contractions.
Last year book fair attentions
- CALCUTTA ELECTRIC SUPPLY CORPORATION (CESC) made an APP for an ANDROID and ISO mobile to locate any Kolkata book fair stalls.
- The book fair offers special arrangements like medical assistance, the ambulance with doctors, Wi-Fi zones, shuttle services, and security personnel have been made for event attendees.
- Maya civilization and history
- Ancient holy books
- Introduction 4000 years old Astronomy
- Two Big kites about 40 feet in heights
- Sheff comes from Guatemala and teaches their cooking style.
Which is the biggest book fair in the world?
The Frankfurt book fair is the world’s largest book fair. It’s organized in the middle of October on the ground of Frankfurt’s main of Germany.
When Kolkata Book Fair will start?
Kolkata book fair will start at the end of January and February every year. It is organized by the Publishers & Booksellers Guild. This fair was started in 1976.
What is the book fair?
A Bookfair is a fair where many publishers/ booksellers arrange to exhibit/ sell/ publishes famous new and old books.
The famous book fair is 1. Kolkata international book fair 2. Mumbai international book fair 3. Bangalore book fair etc.