Gujarat Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary is a famous forest in India. Animals like lions, leopards, jackals, striped hyenas, sambar deer, Chowsingha, and Fox. Blackbuck, rare antelope, etc., are found here.
Gir national park in Gujarat is famous for Asiatic Lions. The scientific name is ‘Panthera Persica Leo’. Presently, the forest is the haven for approximately 674 Asiatic lions. Africa’s lions are larger than Asia’s. The government has arranged a conservation and breeding program for these animals.
This article will discuss the timings, Entry Fees, Safari, the best time to visit, animals, and how to reach the sanctuary.
Table of Contents
- Where is Gir National Park Located
- Information About Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary
- Flora and fauna
- How to reach Gir National Park India
- Gir National Park Visiting Timings
- Best Time to Visit Gir National Park
- Gir National Park Entry Fee and Safari
- Gir National Park contact
- Facts about Gir national park
- 7 Places to Visit in Near National Park
Where is Gir National Park Located
Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary is situated in Gujarat state in India and has 13.38 sq km of area, established in 1985. The Sasan Gir park is in a dry hilly region of Gujarat near the Junagadh district in India.
Information About Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary
Sasan Gir or Gir National Park and Wildlife Sanctuary is the only forest on the Indian map with lions. In entire Asia, Gir is the only reserve Indian forest for lions. Nawab of Junagarh established the park as a hunting ground in the colonial era.
Gir National Park consists of mixed deciduous and dry forests of western India, such as teak, acacia, banyan trees, shrubs, grasslands, dry deciduous forests and some wetlands.
Gir National Park in Gujarat is home to India’s most extensive group of leopards, many animals and birds.
There are three small species of wild cats in the Gir National Park of Gujarat – wild cats, desert cats, and faded spotted cats.
Many rich birds can be seen in the forests of Gir National Park. More than 300 birds can be seen in the Gir National Park in Gujarat, and the peacock is the most common Bird.
Flora and fauna
Teak trees are found in most Gir Wildlife Sanctuary and Forest areas. Other species of trees found here are bamboo, Tendu, Acacia, Banyan, Zizyphas, Jamun, banyan tree, beer, Dhak etc.
Four-horned sarong, Deer, Hyena, Crocodile, fox, jackal, Birds, Nilgai, Chinkara, Sambar, Black deer, Wild boar, Indian flying fo, Gray muskrat, Indian rabbit, Indian lizard, Indian rabbits, Indian fox, Pale Hedgehog, Small Indian smelling cat, Small Indian Mongoose, Rattle, found here.
How to reach Gir National Park India
- Air: The nearest airport is Keshod Airport, 70 km away, and the second nearest is Rajkot Airport, 169 km. Vadodara airport and Ahmedabad airport are also nearby.
- Train: While on the train, you can get off at Junagadh or Veravaland and take a car ride for a rest. Those are the nearest railway stations.
- Road: Rajkot to Gir national park’s distance is 162.2 km time takes 4 hours by bus. Ahmedabad to Gir national park’s distance is 319 km; take a cab through Savarkundla to reach it. Somnath to Gir national park is a distance of 57.1 km GSRTC buses are available.
Gir National Park Visiting Timings
The park is open all day. 6 am to 7 pm in summers, and 6:45 am to 6 pm in winters. The national park is open for tourists from mid-October to mid-June every year and is closed from June 16 to October 15.
|Sunday||6:45 am to 6 pm||6:45 am to 6:00 pm|
|Monday||6:45 am to 6 pm||6:45 am to 6:00 pm|
|Tuesday||6:45 am to 6 pm||6:45 am to 6:00 pm|
|Wednesday||6:45 am to 6 pm||6:45 am to 6:00 pm|
|Thursday||6:45 am to 6 pm||6:45 am to 6:00 pm|
|Friday||6:45 am to 6 pm||6:45 am to 6:00 pm|
|Saturday||6:45 am to 6 pm||6:45 am to 6:00 pm|
Best Time to Visit Gir National Park
The best time to visit Gir National Park is in the winter season. Gir national park Observe three main seasons:-
- Winter (November to February) 10 ° C to 20 ° C: The winter lasts from December to March. It is ideal for various activities such as safari, bird watching, Nature Walks, Crocodile Breeding Center etc.
- Summer (March to May) 30 ° C to 48 ° C: Summer is the best time to visit Gir National Park for photographers. During this time, the forest becomes dry, so it is easy to spot the animals. But many travellers still avoid the Summer season because of the unbearable heat.
- Monsoon (June to October) 25 ° C to 30 ° C: Monsoon is the least suitable time to visit Gir National Park. Because animals stay in their shelter, and it’s the animal’s breeding time. This season Forest Safari is also not possible.
Gir National Park Entry Fee and Safari
Gir National Park is well known for its online wildlife safari. It’s the only safari in India where you can see a lion in its natural habitat. Apart from safari, many people are attracted to the unique vegetation in this area.
Thus, it’s a favourite place for the country’s wildlife photographers. Bird watching is also a well-known activity for tourists. Once a year, the tribal people of the area organize their festivals. Tourists can observe these and learn about their heritage & culture.
5 Types of safaris in Gir National Park
- Gir Jungle Safari: Gypsy Safari Permit is for Indian is 800 Rupees and Foreigner 5600 Rupees for six persons. Guide charge 400 Rupees, Gypsy charge 2000 Rupees. Timings between 6:45 AM to 9:45 AM and 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM. Closed from 16th June to 15th October every year.
- Devalia Park Gypsy Safari: Gypsy Safari Permit is for Indian is 800 Rupees and Foreigner 5600 Rupees for six persons. Guide charge 400 Rupees, Gypsy charge 2000 Rupees. Timings between 7:00 AM To 7:55 AM and 3:00 PM To 3:55 PM. Wednesday closed.
- Devalia Park Bus Safari: Bus Safari Permit is for Indian is 150 Rupees and Foreigner 2800 Rupees. Timings between 7:30 AM To 11:00 AM and 3:00 PM To 5:00 PM. Wednesday closed.
- Ambardi Safari Park: Bus Safari Permit is for Indian is 150 Rupees and Foreigner 2800. Timings between 8:00 AM To 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM to 4:00 PM. Tuesday closed.
- Girnar Nature Safari: Gypsy Safari Permit is for Indian is 800 Rupees and Foreigner 5600 Rupees for six persons. Guide charge 400 Rupees, Gypsy charge 2000 Rupees. Timings between 6:45 AM to 9:45 AM and 3:00 PM to 6:00 PM.
Note: Saturday, Sunday and Festival Days all charges increases. In winter, the timing will slightly change.
Gir National Park contact
- Phone number: +9188266678881 +919971231439
- Email:- [email protected]
Facts about Gir national park
- Gir Wildlife Sanctuary is a protected area with a dense forest of deciduous trees.
- Different animals cohabit with each other.
- Due to favorable environmental conditions, plants are also dense in this forest.
- In the presence of perennial rivers, Gir experiences all three seasons, e.g.:- Summer, Monsoon, and Winter.
- The region’s rich biodiversity makes it a preferred destination for scientific research.
- Visit Nalsarovar lake bird sanctuary, which is in sightseeing of Gir wildlife.
- In Nalsarovar Lake, bird species like the flycatcher paradise, flamingo, sand grass, eagle, bush quail, woodpecker, peacock, cuckoo, etc.
- Important animals in Gir wildlife are lions, bears, leopards, jackfruits, mongooses, cobras and desert cats. Vegetarians include blue-bull, sambar deer and chital deer.
Hotel in Gir National Park
Hotels are available in and around the national park. Hotel Anil Farmhouse Gir National Park and Gir Jungle Lodge are two such examples.
7 Places to Visit in Near National Park
- Kamleshwar Dam
- Kankai Mata Temple
- Jamzir Waterfall
- Sinh Sadan Museum
- Devaliya Safari Park
- Tulsi Shyam temple
- Sasan village
You May Like
- First National Park of India Jim Corbett
- Valki Machan Tour | Kolkata to Valkimachan Bardhaman West Bengal
- Sultanpur National Park Gurgaon
- Gurgaon Sultanpur Bird Sanctuary timings, entry fee
- Where is Betla national park? Address, Timings, Entry Fee
- Alipore zoological garden Kolkata | Chiriakhana entry, timings, animals
- Bhadra Wildlife Sanctuary and Tiger Reserve in India
- Chintamani Kar bird sanctuary
- Ballavpur Wildlife Sanctuary | Deer Park Bolpur West Bengal
- Different Types of Forests in India
- How to reach Ranthambore National Park
- Turahalli Forest cycling trails, trekking, hiking, bike ride